Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, July 30, 2007

Monday Thoughts

Day 4 in a row. Did the Tinicum loop (10 mile version), which has become my bread and butter run when I'm at my summer home. The weather was soupy, but I felt good. I ran the first 5 miles in 43 something, and I ran the back 5 in sub 33 minutes. The first five must be measured long, because I was running faster than that. I know the back five to be accurate, and I was indeed smoking them. Not because I was looking to do so, but I just went with how my legs felt.

I left my music at home this morning. At some point in the run I noted that there were only four kinds of sounds. The far off whooshing of cars on I-95, various bird noises, my footsteps, and my breathing. Herons flew off upon my approach with long, slow, silent wingbeats. Rabbits showed me no respect, hopping out of my way only when I was imminently to step on them. Bugs must instinctively know to bite me between the shoulder blades, and somehow managed to get me from behind and expertly land on the sweat-slick surface. All felt at peace.

Thought a bit about stuff I read on two runners. I had once resolved in these pages to do more reading of other blogs, something that has fallen by the wayside of late. I caught up on Mike's blog, and see that he is doing well down in Tucson. From the looks of it, he is consistently doing 90+ plus mile weeks and running many of these miles at a low or mid 6 minute pace. In both of those respects he has eclipsed me, as I don't realistically see logging anything consistently above 80, nor do I train at that fast a pace (today notwithstanding). But I'm not ready to concede not again running with him at TCM, so in that respect hopefully his training will help me keep my momentum. Keep up the good work, Mike.

I also read an article in Runner's World on Henry Rono. He was one of the first great Kenyan runners and regularly beat the likes of Rodgers and Salazar. These days he's trying for a "comeback" in trying to break the over-50 mile record, at 4:40. He is nowhere close to this. The article is well worth reading. Now in his 50s, he seems very human. So much so that competitively he is now in the age group milieu that folks like me and my roommate dwell. I wish him luck but I don't see him getting near the record.

Anyway, time to get to work. 10 miles in 76:16.

1 Comments:

Blogger U2runner said...

Hey Seebo I also read that article in Runners World and that guy seems like a real asshole if you ask me. He wants money for everything he does, and hes pretty much a nobody now. Did you see how big he was running that race. He will never break that record.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home