Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Super Power Ranger Ninja Turtle Woodchuck Fast

That was me this morning. I almost stepped on a woodchuck who ran out of the brush by the Tinicum trail just in front of my toes and started running in front of me. I sped up a little to see if I could catch him and would have got him if he hadn't ducked into the bushes about 20 meters later.

Running at woodchuck pace. That's what its come down to.

Actually that is not quite accurate. If there is one word to describe my training it is bimodal. There is the cheetah, who trains hard and aspires to race fast, and there is the woodchuck, who is just out to run. Who comes out to run on a given day is anybody's guess.

Over the weekend it was the cheetah. In yesterday's blog entry I described a good tempo run, a difficult long run, and then turning around to race on Sunday. Then yesterday I took a dnr and this morning I ran an easy 7 on the Seeba figure 8 loop in Tinicum. That is woodchuck.

This cheetah/woodchuck dichotomy goes beyond just how far and how fast I run on a given morning, it goes to my identity as a runner as well. This morning was sunny, crisp, and only a little warm. Tinicum, as I've said in zillions of prior posts, is a beautiful place to run. I got in a nice hour (actually 61:27) of running. This is enough to make woodchuck happy.

But this only makes cheetah growl. Its clear that cheetah isn't dominant enough this summer to totally take over, but he is certainly enough of a force to make clear his displeasure. And so I waver back and forth between what I want my training to be like and how comfortable I feel with it.

All that aside, I enjoyed my run this morning. Some stuff is obviously falling into place, such that the run just passed without my realizing how far I had gone until I emerged back onto 420 and the run was almost done.

Tinicum is still in summer mode, where things are very green and relatively quiet, save for a squirrel who seemingly fell out of the sky and dropped onto the trail about ten meters in front of me with a sprig of oak leaves. The only branches over the trail were quite high, and he looked none too dignified as he scampered back into the bushes, leaving the oak leaves on the trail. Must've been some good acorns up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home