Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Raspberries & Figs

I read Reba's blog post yesterday, as I said, after I wrote mine. After reading what she wrote, I have two things to add.

First, I said that the first time we ran was the first time we met, and that the attraction wasn't immediate. I neglected to add that the attraction caught up faster than Dave Wattle in the 72 Olympics the second time we got together. Go on a long run with me sometime and I'll give you more details.

Second is in defense of us so-called fast guys. We don't mind slowing down if the company is worthwhile. Relax, my leg muscles won't atrophy if I dip above a 9 minute pace. I don't judge people by how fast they run, and hopefully won't judge me by that yardstick. Woe is me, I'm so misunderstood.

That being said, I do wish Reba would run faster as I like running behind her.

More generally, I had two people, a dissertation student of mine and a longtime friend, tell me of about their fledgling efforts at running yesterday. This pleases me no end to hear this, and hope that I can contribute a little toward them keeping it going.

This morning I ran Tinicum. The usual 10 mile loop. 47:49 for the first 5 miles, 39:16 for the back 5. Another beautiful run. Alot of bird life out this morning. Nothing unusual, but some very memorable, even poetic sights. A kingfisher perched in a bare tree, the silent, slow motion flight of an egret spooked by my approach, a wild turkey running up the path ahead of me, and a pair of red tails perched close on the "boring part", where I saw hawks regularly over the winter.

But the strangest sights belonged to the mammals. First, I saw a housecat dash into the brush with a mouse in its mouth, and second, I saw an albino woodchuck. An ordinary fat waddly member of the species other than its fur, which was startlingly white despite its dirty sheen.

And finally, I couldn't help but note how the flora has totally taken over the land drained from the wetlands - now dry but thick and lush with grass and blooming plants. In contrast, in another part of the run the bulldozers continue their progress on clearing out dry areas to expand the wetlands and restore them to how they were before the Army Corps of Engineers dumped massive amounts of Delaware River fill there in the 60s.

The place is alive, and I feel alive running through there. 10 miles in 87:06.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seebo,

I'm primarily a lurker, but I really like your blog. I'm starting a running blog myself, and was hoping I could link you and/or we could trade links?

Thanks,

Joseph

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home