Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

S & G's

Today's run reminded me of Jason, a guy I've run with up in Bryn Mawr a few times and who I regularly run into in local races. He is typical of the local racing elite here, folks recently out of college, where they were good runners and want to keep running seriously for awhile longer but have limited opportunities to do so. Jason particularly impresses me as a guy who runs for the sheer love of running. Stories have him out at 2 a.m. doing 400's, or approximations thereof, down the main drag just because he can.

I felt that spirit this morning. Workout today called for 12x150 in 22.5-26 seconds, not a particularly challenging workout, more something to sharpen my mojo for Saturday. Just an excuse to go to the track and run fast. And that I did. Just lined up one time after another after another and let it rip. Ran fast for the pure joy of doing so. 150s are short enough to where they are not really anaerobic, its all legs. You need legs to be cool (everybody knows), and mine didn't let down today. All reps were 22s and 23s. But that didn't even matter. It was all about just running.

Sometimes I lose track (sic) of that.

For the last rep I kept going. Chuck sent out an email that there were tryouts for the final man on the PAC 4x400 relay team that will go to Penn Relays, and that minimum qualifying time for tryouts was a 62. This got me curious as to how fast I could run a 400. So for shits and giggles I just kept ballin' that jack around the track and cranked out 64. Splits were 33 and 31. Close enough to make it tempting, but I ain't a track guy. A hell of alot of fun, however.

Made each of those 150s into finishing kicks, picturing myself heading across the line while the clock ticks to, but doesn't quite hit 15:50. I'm going to do this sucker on Saturday.

Between reps 8 and 9 I stopped to talk with Raymond, who was also out on Franklin Field. Raymond was once right around a 3 hour marathoner and disappeared off the face of the earth for awhile, and now reappears occasionally. He looked really good, and dropped a bunch of weight he had put on. He says he is shooting for Amsterdam in the fall. And, for those of you who know him here is a bit of gossip: I saw him drinking... gasp... store bought sports drink.

Call it 5.5 in 47:42.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home