Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Raining?

Alarm went off at 5:30 this morning. I listened to the pitter patter of water against my window and figured I'm not doing a tempo run in the rain this morning. An hour later I wake up and the pitter patter is still going. I sit up and read and about ten minutes later get a phone call from a Sweet Little Angel. I mention that its raining outside and there is silence at the other end.

"Have you looked out the window?"

Well no, I just heard the drops. Turns out those "raindrops" are melting snow. Subconsciously I probably knew that. So, an hour later than planned, I lace up my shoes.

This was the workout on tap for this morning:
10 mile run: first five miles brisk but even pace- sub 6.45 type effort ( but not too aggressive at this point) Next five miles in approximate paces: 6.00-5.55-5.45-5.40-5.35) (28.55 last 5)

I laughed at the thought that it was raining. It was a glorious sunny mild morning. I drove to the Drives to get the marked miles and visualized myself tearing up this workout. I don't know why 5:35 seems scary at this point, but I pictured myself smoothly running through it.

The run went straight down to 6:45 - no vaseline this morning. After mile 1 I just took it to what felt comfortable, what came natural. Turns out it was a bit faster than 6:45 pace, as the first 5 miles go by in 31:40 (6:20 pace). Here I turn around and pick things up a bit. Picking it up felt effortless, and mile 6 clocked in at 5:45. I thought of the strategizing GP and I did for the race that wasn't this Saturday, and I took inventory of how I felt. I still felt strong and that I could maintain this pace forever, so I kept it up for mile 7 (5:48) and mile 8 (5:42). At this point I picked things up a bit and was starting to feel it. This was actually welcome as I wanted to challenge myself a bit. Mile 9 was in 5:37 and then I just pushed a little harder to where I was breathing really heavy and feeling the pace a bit more. Mile 10 was in 5:32 and I was done.

Glad I got up and made it out, and thanks go to my SLA for giving me that push. I felt good and relaxed out there and went with it. The results show I did the right thing. Days like this are awesome. Also got to burn off some stress, "psychofuel," that's been accumulating of late. One of the best performance enhancers around.

10 miles in 60:07.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home