Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Fixed

Other than a well done track workout, there is only one other activity I know of which leaves such a good feeling in its wake.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Yesterday's drama did get resolved, and it'll suffice to say that I got to do the track workout planned for today. So this will make track workouts two days in a row. Today's track workout was:

1 mile warm up, 1 mile strides. 3x600 - 30 sec rest - 200.

600’s at 75 per lap (1.52.5) nice and relaxed, then take the 30 rest, then run the 20’s in 35.
1 lap jog between sets.


Then jog a lap:


Run 3 x 150 -250 jog. 150’s in smooth relaxed swift 5 seconds.


1 mile cooldown.


The first part was hard, esp. since I misread the instructions yet again and only took 30 seconds between each 600 and 200 in the first 3 sets. But no matter. The times were:

1:47 - 36
1:51 - 35
1:50 - 35

These were an ingenius form of torture, aided by myself only giving myself 30 seconds rest. I had never done 600s, though heard how they are one of the more feared weapons in the dungeon of horrors that is known as the track. As has been explained to me, you tend to think of them as extended 400s, and find its a hell of a long extension to hang on. The 30 seconds then are almost worse than no recovery, as you get just enough time to realize how out of breath and falling apart you are and then you have to do it again. Especially on the 200s, you have to start up fast again instantly. I can see how valuable this is for race conditions, as it forces you to get into your A game at a time when you least want to do so. Anyway, the proof is in the times, I got them (though I doubt I could have gotten one more in). I was particularly proud of the last 600, where I felt I was slowing but apparently was chugging right along.

The second set was almost anticlimactic. I remember this from the first time I did 150s. This is really too short for you to get really tired. You just run them hard for the sake of running hard. It was a good way to end the last workout before a race because I just visualized myself going all out to the finish line, clock ticking away and me just getting in under 15:50. The actual 150 times were 22, 23, & 22. Could have done these forever.

So there it is. A solidly done track workout that leaves me feeling that I can do anything on Saturday. I'm ready and able. Lets see how it goes. In the meantime, whether its dopamines or endorphins or whatever that are now pulsing through my veins after this workout, its a good thing that they are not available on the street or else I would be a hopeless junkie.

The workouts are easy from here on to Saturday.

Total 8.5 miles in 43:27 running time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home