Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, March 05, 2007

Still Slumping

Another Monday, another day off. I still feel mired in a slump.

Went out to St. Joe's track yesterday with Kevin. As I explained yesterday, the usual 4 miles of warm up and strides, followed by a 2400 in 7:30, that translates to 75 second 400s or 2:30 800s. I didn't go out to the track very confident in my ability to hit this, and was not looking forward to the workout. As a performance enhancer, I ate a Nutella sandwich and took a GU before I left. The day was cloudy with an uncomfortable chill and a wind that whipped around the semi-bowl in which the track was situated.

Nothing much to tell about the workout. I timed 800 meter splits - 2:33; 2:38; and 2:38. I huffed and I puffed but could not blow that house down. Not even close. Despite GP's pep talk on Wednesday, I'm still questioning whether I got the speed to get down to a sustained 5 minute pace. I'm not giving up as this could be a slump or a plateau or a prelude to breaking through to something further, but right now it doesn't feel that way.

Looking ahead, next weekend is Cesar Rodney half marathon, in which the plan right now is to pace John Dubs and run it as a hard workout (low/mid 1:20s) rather than a race. This lets me save myself for the Adrenaline Run the Sunday after that. This is my target 5k. As things stand right now, its gonna take a shot of adrenaline to break 16. I'm still thinking its within the realm of possibilities, but I'd like to feel more prepared than I am now. But I'll look at the glass half full and say I still got two weeks of training left before the race.

7 total miles in 49:01 (running clock). Tough times don't last, tough people do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home