Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Education of Seebo

Today is a track day. Its tough to get this in as I have to coordinate between getting kids to school in the a.m. and teaching this evening and the various stuff I got in the middle.

Workout for today is:

AM: 2 mile warm up including strides. Then – 3 miles race set up ( phase 2) @ these paces, 5.50-5.45-5.10- 2 mile easy.

PM 4 miles 6.30 avg clip.

I worked this morning from home and meant to get out of the house by 10:00. Me being me, it wasn't until after 10:30 that I actually got out. This was a blessing however, as I got down to the Franklin Field track at 10:50 and was told by security that I couldn't run on the track until 11. Oh. So I did my strides running around the periphery of FF and at 11 I went in and did two last warmup laps on the track.

I consciously tried to stay slow. GP said don't worry about taking the first two 1600's too slow, the idea is to get tired legs and then run the third 1600. This helped me start off better, as I hit the first 1600 in 5:49 and the second in 5:42. For the third rep I started off a little slow 80 and 78 - 2:38 for the first 800 and I knew I would have a hard time making up those extra three seconds. I didn't check my split for the third 400 but on the final lap I put in a good kick in the backstretch and carried it all the way around. The final time was still 5:13 - on the downside I missed my target but on the up side I held pace - 2:35 - for the last 800. It felt nice to have that kick at the end.

At that speed I'm running at my maximum. But I'm getting used to it. Where before I'm feeling like hey I'm dying I better just hang on, now I'm starting to look around and take stock of where I'm at, how I feel, and what I can do to go faster. Its hard to gauge whether or not this is actually getting me faster, but I feel like I'm in more control. So I'm heartened by that but conscious that I still need to get my time down.

I'm exploring both my limits and my capabilities. Trying new things and learning what I can do. This mindset extends beyond the track. Running has become fun again. . . to the extent that running around in ovals until you're breathless can be described as "fun."

And tonight I get my second dose of the day.

Workout #1, 8.5 miles total in 65:06.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Nice work on the miles. It's good to read about you running more comfortably at paces that used to put you at the limit.

I gotta ask though, why the 6:30 pace in the evening? It seems like your easy days are generally a bit, well, easier on the pace.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home