Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, February 16, 2007

Aimless in Essington

Yesterday was a bad time management day. I was supposed to get ten miles in but by the time I got my act together to run (due to various work-related reasons; yeah I know its bad to let work get in the way of running) it was 2pm and I had a meeting at 4 and a class to teach at 5. So I repeated a maxim I use on these occasions, its better to get a few miles in than take a DNR. I managed to get in 5 miles in 34:52 on the hamster wheel at USP. Fulfilled half of the obligation, I have no other positive things to say about it. And something is up with my iPod to where the volume now doesn't get loud enough to drown out the whirr of the treadmill.

Today I was supposed to go 5 miles and so instead I did yesterdays 10 miler. Temps were in the teens, winds gusted up to 20+ mph, and, worst of all, there was still snow taking up the trails and the shoulders of the roads. So Tinicum Refuge was out and I had nowhere to go beyond running around the streets of Tinicum township and Essington for 85 minutes. The historical markers say these are among the oldest European settlements in Pennsylvania, originally established by Swedes. Now they are both little sleepy blue collar towns just south of the airport and right on the Delaware. There is still some industry down there, but much of it has moved away and both towns are slowly turning into long term parking lots for the airport.

While I was running I thought of how I owe my friend Barry a few emails. We were good friends in college and he looked me up recently. Neither of us really ran in college, but it didn't take long into our catching up to discover that we were both avid runners now. Its a funny process, as you sense it quickly (much like alcoholics or Deadheads can sniff each other out) and then are surprised at the eeriness of the coincidence. Anyway, Barry's in Minnesota now, where this weather would probably qualify as a thaw. I don't know how he or other Minnesotans manage to train all winter. I can handle the cold, but the snow just really makes things claustrophobic and, in these temps, doesn't go away. Better you than me, Barry.

And yes, GP, I'll have plenty of juice for tomorrow's track workout.

87:28 to be exact, call it 10.5 miles conservatively. A route I cannot reconstruct, nor would I care to do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home