Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Uninspired

The tyranny of keeping a blog updated. The problem is that I gotta run before I can update the damn thing.

I had a double on the schedule for today. 2 four milers, one at 32 minutes and one at 28 minutes. I'm not sure why they can't be done as one eight miler, but I did it as instructed.

Workout 1

The nice thing about a shorter workout is that I could sleep in a little longer. I took full advantage of that and was dreaming of sunny weather and warm temps when I was rudely awakened by the alarm. But it was daylight when I left, but it was cold enough for the freshly fallen dusting of snow to crunch underfoot. Second day in a row I dressed warmly. Went out to Tinicum and did the bottom loop of the figure 8. Much of the water was frozen, making life harder for the ducks and the shorebirds. After I was done I went from the freezing cold straight into a hot shower - a strange sensation.

Run was somewhere between 4.5 and 5 miles in 39:05.

Workout 2

The disadvantage to shorter workouts is that there is twice as much prep/shower time. Took it to the USP hamster wheel in a singularly uneventful workout. Listened to Hayes Carll on the iPod and realized that precious little of the music on my iPod inspires me to run at the moment. I need new music.

Ran 4 miles in 27:55, not a great feat of timing as pace can be minutely controlled on the machine.

Don't have any really deep thoughts to share, today was only about getting in the miles I had to.

However, I'll close with something interesting that Mike M. emailed me:

I looked up the 5k equivalent of your 26:00 8k on McMillan's [prediction] table, it is 15:45. I think the workouts you are doing are good, but prepare your mind as well as your body. Maybe you cannot break 15:30, but wouldn't it be fun to try?

I've thought about that as well. And it is a mental thing. Running a 26 minute 8k basically meant extending my best 5k pace for an additional 3k. It was speed that I was familiar with, I only had to hold it longer. Going down on my 5k time means actually going faster, substantially faster, and holding it. This spooks me, as I've always considered myself more of an endurance guy than a speed guy. But Mike's right, why settle for sub 16? But the nice thing is that a 5k is not a marathon. I run a 5k and, whether I get my goal or not, I can try again a few weeks later. So we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home