Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Moves Like She Runs


Hey when she sings, when she sings when she sings like she runs
Moves like she runs. . . ~Neko Case

Four months since the Delaware Distance Classic.

I don't know about the numbers, but today felt colder than the previous couple of days.

Of course I went ahead and did the planned workout anyway. It was:

Race set up tempo:

2 mile easy warm up
1.mile strides
¾ mle @ 5.30 pace
drop to 5.00 minute pace for half mile
return to 5.30 pace ¾ mile

2 mile easy cooldown.


I ran the warmup and the strides as part of my run out to the art museum, then started the fast stuff on MLK.

3/4 mile at 5:30 pace translates to a 4:07/4:08 or 82/83 second quarters. As is my habit, I started fast but not as fast as usual, with the first quarter going by in 78, and then I got on pace to where I hit the 3/4 mile in 4:03.

1/2 mile at 5:00 pace is at the edge of my capabilities right now. I needed two 75 second quarters to hit 2:30 on this stretch. It had me feeling nervous. I hammered it hard and hit the first quarter in about 78. Here I had to turn around and head back. I knew I wouldn't hit 2:30 but wanted to keep pushing. But I lost my focus and hit the half in 2:38. This is disappointing, but both physically and mentally it wasn't there today. I did get a little taste of the edge and realized that it isn't just about legs and lungs, but that the head needs to stay in the game as well. 5 minute pace will necessitate the whole body being involved.

Then there was the little matter of hitting the last 3/4 mile stretch. This one is the mirror of the first 3/4 stretch. Between the letdown and the recovery after missing the goal time on the previous half mile, I slipped to 88 seconds for the first quarter but then managed to regroup and hit this 3/4 mile right on target in 4:07. This was a silver lining, as I felt like I was recovering at speed, shifting gears when I had to, and the 5:30 pace is becoming increasingly comfortable to me.

I think I learn more when I "fail" than when I hit my target times. I feel alright after today's workout. The tempo part went fast. Less than 11 minutes and it was done. Not much time for adjusting. 5 minute pace still seems outside of my reach, but I'm getting closer. 5:30, on the other hand, is feeling much more like old hat. I want to keep having at this here. I'm hungry. And then I suppose the cold can't last forever, and a little thaw can't hurt my effort either.

Call it 8.5 miles in 66:53. Time for a nice warm shower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home