Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, February 12, 2007

Gut Check

Today was a gut check type of workout. I was in New York visiting my mom yesterday and logistics didn't permit my getting time for a run. So I planned to push my off day (supposed to be today) to yesterday and do yesterday's workout, 14 long easy miles, today. This was a little tricky to coordinate with getting the kids out the door for school. So bottom line I had to get up a half hour earlier to get out the door in time to get back in time.

All clear as mud? Good.

Nothing sexy about this run. Just steady pace for many miles. The MLK miles went at just under an 8 minute pace, and that was pretty representative. I ran the BN loop, again where I wasn't looking to break it and it wasn't looking to break me. Instead I was plodding along, and it was obliging me with comfortable weather and a pretty sunrise. I reloaded my iPod over the weekend and spent the whole run listening to Steve Earle stuff. Wanted something familiar with me this morning.

In an important sense, this is what training is about. Going out and doing what needs to be done, even if doing what needs to be done is unappealing and a pain in the backside. I told myself that a few times this morning and that helped a bit. I was also, for the second straight workout, technologically encumbered with not only carrying my iPod, but also my cell phone (which I'll carry when necessary for the kids to be able to contact me). The phone has a camera, so I stopped briefly to take a shot of me on top of Flagpole Hill (overlooking the Belmont XC course) and if you squint you can see the skyline in the background. The skyline looks much more awesome in real life.

13.5 miles in about 1:40. Timing malfunction precluded an exact time. Terrain, since GP asked, was hilly from about mile 7 on including the infamous Bloody Nipple hill on Conshohocken Ave.

Also never blogged over the weekend so I'll recap Saturdays workout. Made it out in the afternoon. Ran out to the Art Museum and was instructed to do 6 tempo miles - 5:30; 6:30, 5:30, 6:30; 5:30; 7:00. Actual splits were 5:33; 6:26; 5:29; 6:28; 5:26; 6:51. The first mile was run right into the jaws of a legendary MLK Drive headwind and was really hard. I nailed my splits and would have nailed the mile if my cellphone hadn't fallen out of my shorts pocket and forced me to stop and retrieve. That and the wind were too much, but it was by far my best effort. The other 5:30s got easier as, for the second, the wind died and, for the third, the fierce headwind of the first mile was now a tailwind. I felt better when I made up on this mile the three seconds I lost on the first mile. The 6:30's had a pattern where I'd slow a bit too much (1:45ish) on the first quarter and then pick up the pace by what seemed a little bit and more than made up for the time. 6:30 is now a very comfortable recovery pace. Legs felt dead and sore on the way back, I thought maybe thats what too much lactic buildup feels like.

11 miles total in 79:20.

Guts are checking out fine, but the reassurance will not last long.

1 Comments:

Blogger John W said...

I couldn't tell where that photo was taken until I read the blog. Your right it is much more impressive in real life. I like the phto updates.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home