Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Karma of Physiology

Got myself a good old-fashioned ass chewing yesterday. GP was the one taking the chomps. I'd paste the email here, but I wouldn't do it without GP's permission and besides, the language would be inappropriate for any children (and my mother) who might be reading this blog.

Basically, I get whupped for how I've been taking liberties with the workout schedule. Cheating physiology, he says, will come back to get you every time. With my rearranging the workout schedule, I was basically setting myself up to fail. I was also making the presumption that I was above physiology; that where mere mortals needed two easier workouts prior to Sunday's workout; I could get by with only one easy day. In short, the whining that was going on in the last few blog entries was entirely avoidable. Of course, this was explained in much more, and more painful detail and with more colorful language.

But I do appreciate the candid remarks and realize that it does take a blunt instrument at times to penetrate my thick head. But, now properly chastened, that cleared the air for today's workout, and I went at it with a more open mind. In a way, its better to attribute recent failures to compulsiveness than to physical limitations.

So with a clean slate I went down to Franklin Field this afternoon for this workout:

2 mile warm up and mile of strides.
10 x 500 –
Pace 75 per lap. 1.34 total.
100 jog [recovery] in 55-60 seconds: rhythm workout.
2 mile cooldown

This was a funky workout. 500 meters is an odd distance, and I had a tough time gauging where the extra 100 meters would be on the track. I finally figured it out roughly by timing my warmup laps, but it did lend an air of inexactitude to the undertaking. There was also the matter of blustery conditions: cold and windy. Enough to where I had on tights and warmed up with a hoodie over my long sleeve t-shirt.

So with that being said, my splits were:
1:33 1:35 1:35 1:36 1:36 1:36 1:37 1:36 1:36 1:36

I'll take it. Like I said, I wasn't sure if I went exactly 500, the last 100 went around one of the curves and the curves initially came out longer than the straights when I was "measuring" the track. What was more reliable was my checking my 200 and my 400 meter splits. Like clockwork the former happened in 37/38 and the latter in 75/76. As the steadiness of the overall splits showed, I got me into a rhythm here. This was not easy, as I was gasping for air from about the 3rd rep on. I did make sure to get every second of my recovery time. When the tenth lap was over I felt sick to my stomach.

I feel good about the workout. Felt my running was strong and the inexact nature of the distance may have forced me to relax a bit. Given the shitty week I had last week I'm glad to have gotten a workout like this again. I'm looking forward again. 8.5 miles total with a running clock of 69:26.

1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Glad you're back feeling good.

You know, thinking about last season for you, even though you knew you were training hard, you were still pretty surprised at your race times.

I think you're a runner who really races well, often beyond what it feels like your workouts predict. You've noticed, too, that something about the atmosphere of a race situation brings another level out of you. I wouldn't be surprised if you found this next weekend.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home