Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Pace Ratings

Rebecca came up with a new pace rating system. Except for a minor tweak, she hit my pace times pretty much right on. That impresses the hell out of me, and is but the latest reason for feeling fortunate to have her in my corner.

I tried applying these ratings to her running pace, and failed miserably. Should have known better. I might as well have been discussing weight. . . best not to go there, guys.

Anyway, here is the rating system, based on an ongoing in-thing we've had to which I've made reference a few times.

Power Ranger fast = 7-7:30 minute mile (moderate training pace)
Super Power Ranger fast = 6:30 - 7 minute mile (brisk training pace)
Power Ranger Ninja Turtle fast = 5:45 - 6:15 minute mile (Marathon pace)
Super Power Ranger Ninja Turtle fast = 5:15 - 5:45 minute mile (10k-half mar. pace)
Super Power Ranger Ninja Turtle Cheetah fast = sub 5:15 minute mile (5 mile & 5k pace)


I dipped well into the Super Power Ranger Ninja Turtle Cheetah range today. For once GP prescribed a track workout that didn't shift around distances and paces, thus I could run down to Franklin Field without a cheat sheet. 6 x 600 at 1:52.5 (75 sec 400 pace) with 100m (55-60 sec) recoveries.

Actual times were 1:51.0; 1:51.8; 1:52.9; 1:53.5; 1:52.1; 1:53.0.

The rational part in me calls that a successful workout, while my anal alterego chides me for marginally going over the goal time on a few reps. Even just posting the time to the tenth of a second is, as Ian has pointed out, telling.

Bottom line is that this workout is just about my fitness level. Again, the recoveries were not enough time to keep me from starting the next rep without sucking air, and I really had to bear down to get these times. I feel that on the slower reps I could have got under goal time if I had been able to bear down better mentally. But truth is (and I hope my Mom isn't reading this) I've been operating on 4-5 hours of sleep for the last few days (single parent duties combined with work deadlines) and it has by now taken a toll. Tonight should be an earlier night.

So another way to look at it is that it was a good workout for bringing far less than my A game to the track today. And again, it was right at my fitness level, so I got an optimal workout. To ice it off, I had that worked over with a baseball bat feel in my legs for the afternoon and have been insatiably thirsty all day.

But its worth it, as in return for taking it to SPRNT speed today I got that wonderful chemical (whatever it is) that is only produced from two activities pulsing through my body. And hitting the track is the only way I'll get to cop any of it this weekend.

8.5 miles total in 62.02.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Reporting these times to .1 second is sort of like reporting marathon times to the nearest second. Just ask Sammy Korrir :)

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home