Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Happy Spring

This used to be my old routine. But between running much more track and doing more running around Tinicum I haven't done this much lately. That is the nature of my running, however, it evolves. The territory I cover with my running shifts and expands, the persons I run with come and go, and my outlook on running changes. Imperceptibly on a day by day basis, but circumstances on some days get me looking where I am and where I've been.

So my routine starts with dragging myself out of bed at 5:30. Today it also meant dragging Maricela out of bed at that time, as she needed to be at school early. The definition of inertia is getting a 16 year old out of bed at 5:30 a.m. Out the door by six and its still dark. Its also still cold. The iced over puddles make me think the temps are in the low 30s. I didn't bring gloves, and think of going back for them but decide to rough it.

Its down Baltimore and through Penn campus just like so many times before. Going over the South St. bridge there is a silhouette of another runner coming towards me, who turns out to be Deirdre. After the initial surprise I decide to turn around and join forces. She is running back into W. Philly to meet with KJ. We run about a quarter mile and KJ appears. I'm amazed I didn't email them yesterday to say I was running this morning, but didn't even think about it. One sign of how much I've lost touch with my former routine.

We turn back around and head towards the art museum. At the AM we keep on going on a route that Deirdre and KJ have been doing, going up Lemon Hill across the Girard St. Bridge, and past the zoo up 34th St. to home. I associate coming home from the zoo (as opposed to passing the zoo while heading out) with a few experiences years ago with difficult and desolate running, and I still get that feeling. The long acclivity on this stretch of 34th St seemed steeper in times past. My first 18 and 20 milers used to end by going down this stretch, and it feels much farther from home than it is.

Other than my head doing time warps like this the run was uneventful. Despite the serendipity of hooking up with two friends, the conversation was sparse this morning. That suited me fine, I wasn't in a mood to talk. Yet we did talk enough to where we reconnected. At 46th & Spruce we all split up, KJ going right, Deirdre going left, and me straight. The course, without the little out and back by the South St. bridge, is laid out here. Going that o&b puts me over 8 miles, which is about what I was looking to do.

I'd also be remiss to say that yesterday was the Vernal Equinox, making today the first day of Spring. I always feel a primal relief at having survived one more winter. Happy Spring.

8 miles in 70:59. The pace, esp. with Deirdre, was alot quicker than that suggests, but I don't know where that extra distance would be. Who cares, however, as today was an easy day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home