Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Indulgences

Haven't run a lick since the last time I posted. I've been told that my love handles aren't coming along well, however, and I'll have to work harder to develop them. We'll see about that. As concerns running, different time demands are pushing running to the wayside, and I'm letting that happen, consciously. It gets me the break I know I need from the daily pounding. I do miss it, especially since I'm building up a whole new supply of emotional stuff that I'm feeling the need to burn off and be rid of.

On to more positive things. Norm Green emailed me and said that I've been selected as "Male Masters Runner of the Year" by the Long Distance Running committee at Mid Atlantic USATF, which makes me feel good. Dave Thomas is also resurrecting the PACTC website, and asked me for a bio. I wrote it, and thought I could double dip and post it here as well, as doing so is a way of filing it away for me.

The correspondence from both Dave and Norm also let me reflect back on the fall, which is now closed and starting to sink in. It's a poor substitute for actually running towards some future goal, but in its absence I let myself indulge.

***********************************

Hi Dave,

Here is the info you asked for.

Steve Metraux, born in 1964, graduated high school at Rockland Country Day School in 1982, which had no track or cross country programs, and Grinnell College in 1986, where he ran, in unspectacular fashion, with the cross country team for one season. He did not take up competitive running until 1997, when he started training with his newborn son in a baby jogger. He finished the Philadelphia Marathon, his first, later that year in 3:24. His times have come down steadily since then, and 2006 represents his best season to date, in which he has set personal bests all the distances he's run. Among these performances, he was 3rd place Masters finisher in 3 major races: the Adrenaline 5k (16:24); the Philadelphia Distance Run (1:13:33) and the California International Marathon in 2:36:36. In 2006, Metraux also won the individual male title for the Mid Atlantic USATF Grand Prix series, and was named Masters Male Athlete of the Year by MAUSATF's Long Distance Running committee. For 2007, Metraux plans to pursue lifelong goals of breaking 16 minutes at 5k and 2 hours 35 minutes at the marathon. Metraux is on the faculty in the Health Policy and Public Health Department at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia.

Best times (through 2006) are:

Marathon - California International Marathon, 12/3/06 - 2:36:36
Half Marathon - Philadelphia Distance Run, 9/17/06 - 1:13:33
10 miles - Broad Street Run, 5/7/06 - 55:09
15 km - Delaware Distance Classic, 10/7/06 - 51:11
10 km - Ben Franklin Bridge Challenge, 11/5/06 - 33:14
5 miles - Radnor Run, 10/29/06 - 27:10
8 km - Rothman 8k, 11/19/06 - 26:00
5 km - Jingle Bell 5k, 12/5/03 - 16:21 (uncertified); Adrenaline 5k, 3/18/06 - 16:25

Picture is attached, let me know if you need anything more.

~Steve

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Steve, the Mid Atlantic love handles field is very competitive, especially the Masters division. Best of luck in your new endeavor!

10:43 AM  
Blogger John W said...

A fitting end to a spectacular year of running. Way to go!

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home