Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Golden State of Mind. . .

or how Seebo got his gears back.

Best easy 3.5 mile workout I've ever done.

All the leaves were brown, and the sky was grey. But I finally shipped my deliverable off to that Midwestern city, got up at the normal time and laced up my shoes to go out into the morning fog. I put on a mix of songs with a California theme to them and by the time the third song came on, Belinda Carlisle's (yes, formerly of the GoGo's) "California," my legs were itching to throw it down. I held them back and took that urge and channeled it into thoughts about Sunday. Rumbling down Spruce Street like the Northridge quake itself at an 8 minute pace. This race is going down.

Going around back of Franklin Field and the Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Californication" was up next. I think I picked Sacramento to run a marathon just so I could train to that song. Good on so many ways, but particularly how it changes tempo and intensity, going up and going back down again and again. I tuned into that, again holding back and feeling the tension. Taking it in and feeding on it all the way up Locust Walk. Then past 40th St there's a place towards the end of the song where they slow it way down and then amp it up again. Couldn't keep my mojo pent up any longer and just opened it up. For three blocks I just went all out in a climactic release of sub 5k pace energy that left my fist pumping the air when it was done. Dream of Californication.

I needed this run to clear out the slogs I've been undertaking of late. I'm ready now.

Thanks for the shouts I've been getting lately. Even people who don't know me or my running so well seem to know that at some point around this time I usually do a marathon and ask about it. Ian's sendoff was particularly well done, especially since he unwittingly included my favorite movie ever in it. If I have half the confidence other people have in me, this race should be a piece of cake.

But of course it won't be. Goal now is to run fast enough to beat that tuna noodle casserole out of the oven.

Franklin Field loop, 3.5 miles. Left at 7:20 back at 7:49.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home