Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, June 16, 2006

Shakedown Street

Nothing shaking on Shakedown Street
Used to be the heart of town
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
You just got to poke around

Didn't get around to posting anything yesterday. It was an abbreviated run, 6.5 miles of the Art Museum loop in 54:50. I had to get home in enough time to make down to Center City for a doctor's appointment at 8. The doc checked out my neck, took the stitches out, and said I was good to go. Also said I could fully resume any physical activities, including running. I thanked him and wished him well.

I was going to tack on another 4 that evening but after dinner it felt too much like junk miles, and I bagged it. I watched Bull Durham with Maricela instead.

This morning was another short run. The Media 5-Miler, one of the few Friday afternoon races around, is this afternoon and so this morning was more of a jog than a run. KJ, who's also running this afternoon, bailed after a hard workout last night, leaving me, the pregnant lady, and Jody to head west. Jody has been running with us on a regular basis now for a few weeks, apparently undeterred by our weirdness.

We ran west out to Merion St., which runs parallel between Lancaster Ave and the railroad tracks. Its one of those interstitial streets where people mine for "stressed" bricks from the decaying housing, there are enough tires to construct a playground and a life-sized Godzilla sculpture, and you wouldn't be surprised to see a body lying among the weeds. There used to be a house with lots of ironwork and a mailbox with a Hell's Angels motif, but that's gone. Its not as scary on a bright June morning as it was on a December's false dawn.

Going back east on 54th St. a woman gave us a shout-out, "I should be running with you."

I shot back, "Put out your cigarrette and c'mon." I can't believe I said that, perhaps it was in celebration of the public smoking ban that City Council passed yesterday.

5 miles in 42:17. Wish me luck this afternoon.

I can't get around it and I can't run away
I need a miracle every day

1 Comments:

Blogger John W said...

Good Luck in Media and happy to hear you are A-ok

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home