Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, June 24, 2006

A Burning Matter

I got mentioned in the misadventures of Ian and Jim the other day. Apparently Jim twisted an ankle on the trails and had a difficult time getting home. They must have had enough time on their hands to think of my bellyaching, both to them and in writing, on my disdain for trailrunning.

Well, today it was my turn to be waylaid. And it wasn't even on the trails.

This morning's run started innocently enough. I met Deirdre out at the corner of Belmont and Montgomery and we headed up towards Manayunk, taking the Belmont Plateau path that is more like a gravelly road. I like this "trail" as it is straight, wide, shaded and in the woods enough to hear and see birds of all sorts. We ended up at Strawberry Mansion Bridge and went up MLK Drive to Falls Bridge. Deidre had leg problems and turned around before we hit the second bridge, and I was on my own going up to Manayunk.

I won't go into details here, but going up Main St. I started having pain from hemorrhoids. Bad. Really bad. This has been an occasional and merely bothersome problem before, but never like this. Feeling the pain and only imagining what eight more miles were going to do, for the first time in my life I stopped the run and realized that, at the farthest point away from home, I was stranded.

Main Street was closed off for a street festival and just as I stopped it started to rain. It was a painfully lonely feeling to feel this physically miserable with little more than a pair of shorts and a pair of shoes on. I asked a cop if there was any way to make a phone call and he grudgingly gave me a quarter (which I am thankful for). This made me feel like a criminal who gets one phone call. I called my neighbor Jon who fortunately was home and came to get me. This goes to show that it not only takes a village to run, but it takes a village not to run.

So lessons learned. First, get a little shoe pocket and put a SEPTA token and a few bills in it. Second, go to a pharmacy and make an appt. to see a doctor. In that order. I already did the internet thing and it really wasn't very helpful. Running is supposed to help clear up hemorrhoids, in my case it exacerbates them.

So, call it 7 in 62:37. One more roadblock or, should I say, one more problem to get behind me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home