Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Serendipity

The last three nights have been late nights. Thus I haven't made it out of bed the last three mornings. Thus the absence of blogging. At least opting for sleep over running the past few mornings will keep my mom happy.

Fortunately two out those three nights have been late due to pleasureable pursuits. Sunday night I road tripped to Atlantic City to see Etta James and Susan Tedeschi, and last night I took the kids to see Springsteen and the Seeger Sessions band. Totally amazingly awesome concert, on many levels. Maricela was not jazzed to go, and left the show a total convert. I told her I shouldn't have taken her, as there won't be any concert that she will see from here on in that will be as good. To which she responded "I know."

So this evening I did something that I seldom do, and that's take my own advice. A week or two ago I left a comment on Jim's blog after he had missed a few days and told him that even if you can't get a full workout in, at least go out for a few miles and avoid another goose egg in the log book. This turns momentum around, instead of letting it slide further down. For just like miles build more miles, inactivity breeds more inactivity.

Thus I went out this evening to do six. I hoped to just lope around on the Franklin Field track for awhile at whatever pace I wanted, but the track was closed by the time I got there. On the way down Spruce Street, on the stretch just south of 38th Street which I seldom take, I ran into Juergen, a buddy from my Penn days whom I hadn't seen in awhile. So my run was interrupted for about 20 minutes as he told me about moving to the suburbs and commuting to NYC. I was glad to reconnect and the running felt easy all the way down to the Schuylkill Path.

Getting onto the path put me just ahead of a young blond guy who made a point to keep up with me as I made a point to gradually up the pace. He then pulled even with me and I got me a good old fashioned pissing contest, getting the pace all the way down to what felt like six. I felt good as his breathing got somewhat labored. When this happens, instead of taking the pace down even more I like to initiate conversation. Usually that leads to a terrified look, an incoherent response, and a slowed down pace.

This time the guy had the sense to slow down and suddenly the contest was over as quickly as it started. We crossed the Spring Garden Bridge and chatted, and I ended up inviting him for our MWF Club West Philly runs. Brendan said he'd like to make it but I'll be surprised if he does. I liked the guy - aside from being a good runner he was not built like a runner. Too broad chested. A guy I can relate to.

So a fun run, in the sense of the presence of play and something magical. Tomorrow the plan is another 13-15, so it'll be back to work. But today was a key step to getting back to that place. My monthly mileage goals are pretty much shot, but I care alot less about that today than I did yesterday. And I have more than a goose egg to show for today. Long six in 47:47.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home