Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, February 13, 2006

Untitled

Not a good day today. Go into the office after being out for a few days and realize how much stuff I have to do. In addition, there are meetings spread out through the day. Among various other problems is the problem of when to run. I didn't go at my usual 6am time because the darkness and the snow was not a good combination.

I was pondering this while walking through Penn campus when I heard a "hey, Seebo" and saw Craig. He was coming from Pottruck Gym, fresh from a treadmill workout incorporating some tempo miles. He looked beaming and initially I felt jealous but then thought, I might as well take his idea and maximize the time I have by hammering out maximum mileage. All I had was about an hour after a late afternoon meeting so I took it to the gym and lost no time in putting the hamster wheel on 10.

I kept it on 10 (6 min mile pace) for 10 miles (total 60:15) and had enough time for another 1-mile cool down (total time 70:10). I had Little Axe (techno blues) on the iPod and was watching a close captioned Black History feature on Rosa Parks on the tv. Oddly, the two seemed to go well together. After 5 I couldn't concentrate on the tv anymore, and after 8 I couldn't take the music anymore. While the treadmill keeps up speed for you so you don't have to push, the feeling you have to make peace with is more one of hanging on. So I hung on for the last two miles, which seemed endless, and got in a good workout after all.

I continue in my conviction that either I will have a great Spring season or I will go down in flames with an injury. Right now I say 60-40. Paris still doesn't have me registered on their website, and they don't give any contact information for following up. If I don't hear from them soon, I'll have to get a phone number and sic my sister (who speaks fluent French and handles Parisians well) on them.

I already gave kudos to Craig for inspiring me to conceive of this somewhat reckless workout, I also need to acknowledge Marc, one of the managers at the ARC who probably won't see this, who was more tactful than he probably should have been in confronting me about running on the treadmill without a shirt. I only had a long sleeved shirt today and didn't feel like overheating more than I usually do when running indoors, so I decided to push limits a bit. Eventually Marc came up to me and, after I complained about having only a long sleeved shirt, offered to get me a short sleeved one from some past ARC promotion. A win-win.

So my legs feel beat up and my stomach feels very upset. I don't know if the latter is related to this unexpectedly hard workout but either way, my plans to go to the track tomorrow will get postponed, again, until Thursday and I will do something easier tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Isn't it odd how one needs the iPod to get going on the treadmill, but once you really get going, you want to tear the damn thing out of your ears? I think you get overstimulated between fast running and loud music, and your body can't take both.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home