Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A Six Pack of Miles

From a Univ. of Pittsburgh School of Medicine website:

WHAT IS ALCOHOL DEPENDENCY AND ABUSE

There are a number of criteria for alcohol dependency and abuse according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM IV). Such individuals may need daily intakes of large amounts of alcohol in order to function adequately. They may have a regular pattern of heavy drinking limited to weekends and may even have long periods of sobriety interspersed by binges of heavy drinking for weeks or months. These patterns are often associated with the following behaviors:

1. finding oneself unable to cut down or stop drinking

Substitute "mileage" for alcohol, and "running" for "drinking" and this starts to hit a bit close to home. Especially since this is a cutback week. Slept in this morning and went out at lunchtime when it was sunny and mid-30s. I had six in mind but as I got going I really really wanted to do more. I thought of how this workout, combined with yesterday's, will mess up my mileage totals and how it will impair my marathon prep. But then its, like, hey, that's why its called an easy week.

I kept myself to six, so I don't have a problem. Right? Started from USP and went out to the Art Museum and looped back around through Drexel and Penn (one college campus per every two miles). Time was 49:42. I tried consciously to keep the pace mellow and largely succeeded except on a few occasions when changing lights required some urban fartlek.

Back to the Pitt website. Skip down a few items and we come to:

4. occasional consumption of a fifth of spirits or its equivalent in beer or wine

I wonder what the equivalent in miles is here.

And then skip down a few more:

6. continuing to drink despite a serious physical disorder

But my hip has been feeling better. Maybe its linked to my cutting back mileage. Ya think?! With this in mind, the alert will be scaled back from "Code Yellow" to "Code Blue", and thus #6 doesn't apply to me.

Interesting thing, this internet. You can learn all kinds of stuff from it. I'll have to pass this Pitt URL on to someone who really has a problem with not running.

1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Overdoing either running or drinking will make you vomit and walk funny.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home