Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Weekend Warrior

Here's my recap of the weekend. I plan to make this quick because I got other stuff I gotta do.

Yesterday's run was 11 miles, one of those flex runs when what I ended up doing did not have much semblance with what I actually did. I wanted to get in a long run, 20 miles if possible, ended up doing 11 (actually 11.1, Kevin F., sorry I lost the gmap loop before I could save it to link). Met up at the Art Museum with Kevin F., Erin and KJ, and the four of us went through Fairmount Park, where and me and KF split off after a couple of miles, to go over S. Georges Hill, down the BN, and back around Kelly Drive. Kevin F. is a good friend and frequent racing partner, but we figured that this was the first time we'd ever gone on a training run together.

Hills on the front end and speed on the back end (last 4 in sub-28). Good training run for the upcoming Cesar Rodney half marathon, in which we are both running on the team "Evil Killer Bunnies of Death 2 - Eviller and Killerer" (TEKBOD2-EAK!) If you're interested in more details about the run, you can read them from Kevin's perspective. Judging from what he writes, he was having a harder time holding on at the end than he let on. Didn't mean to make it a pissing contest, really.

Kevin stopped at the Art Museum when we ran into Cindy, and I abandoned the idea of tacking on more miles in favor of coffee with good company. A case of good people being preferable over good miles. 11 in 1:23:35.

So that left the long run for this morning. My lack of motivation led to all sorts of procrastinatory maneuvers, but when I made it out is was up to Manayunk via the Art Museum, across the Green La. bridge and into Montgomery County and back into Fairmount Park via Belmont Ave, west on Parkside then Woodbine, and down 66th/63rd and home again on Cedar Ave. I thought that would be 20 but it only made 19.

This is a good long run. I took the Kelly Dr. miles at 7:40 pace, then got worn down by the hills, including the north Belmont hills - the hardest series of hills in my training territory - on miles 10 to about 14, and then regrouped enough to make the Cedar Ave. piece (the last 1.6 miles) in just under 7 minute pace. Not phenomenal, but it felt good knowing I can ramp things up somewhat after being on my feet for all that time. I'll be doing this loop again. 19 miles in 2:34:26.

This gives me 87 miles for the week. One more mile than last week, which means another PR. I'll put in one more hi mileage week this week, and then cut back next week as I've got some traveling to do, and look to incorporate more speed as I cut back on the mileage a little. I feel that this cuts short the base phase, but that would put me into mid-February, with Cesar Rodney coming up in mid March and then it would be taper time for the Paris Marathon, which is three weeks later.

Oh yeah, I don't remember if I wrote that I'm running Paris this Spring. April 8th. Gives me a little less time to prepare than would be optimal, but kids have Spring Break that week, Cindy wants to go on vacation, and running a marathon would be a good way to see the city. I'll have more to say about all that, of course, but I've blabbed/blogged enough already today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home