Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Can't Make It Here Anymore

Double session again today. Workout #1 was a Columbia Bridge loop, which I've been running variations of alot lately. Legs didn't have it (8:15 pace on the marked MLK miles) this morning and I just went with it. Cool and crisp, with a hint of fog so that all was blue, visually but not metaphorically, as it got light. I took a page out of Kevin F.'s playbook and "used the lights to my advantage," meaning I timed the traffic lights so I'd be forced to stop for the reds.

Just got back from another 4 at the USP rec center. The treadmills were all taken up by kids paying $40k a year for the privelege, and I would have bumped one off if I could have gotten away with it. But instead I just ran around the indoor one-tenth of a mile track 40 times with James McMurtry on the i-Pod until I turned into angry white guy (in the Michael Moore mode, not the Rush Limbaugh one). Lyrics like:

Vietnam Vet with a cardboard sign
Sitting there by the left turn line
Flag on the wheelchair flapping in the breeze
One leg missing, both hands free
No one's paying much mind to him
The V.A. budget's stretched so thin
And there's more comin' home from the Mideast war
We can't make it here anymore

got me cooking around the little track till I was getting dizzy and almost plowing into little co-eds who don't know how to walk a track. Made it down to about 6:10 pace, which is hard to do with the constant, sharp, unbanked turns. Total time was 28:18, a bit faster than the 29+ minutes I usually wring out of the hamster wheel when I do four miles, and which probably included an extra lap or two as I have trouble counting to forty without losing my place a few times.

Let 'em eat jellybeans let 'em eat cake
Let 'em eat shit, whatever it takes
They can join the Air Force, or join the Corps
If they can't make it here anymore

I was still up after completing the four, so I took it out further on an exercise bike. The ARC triathlon is coming up soon, consisting of pool swimming, exercise bike riding, and either treadmill or track running. I won it last year (see blog entry and epilogue) and expect to defend my title by actually learning a little about riding the exercise bike and swimming. So I cranked up the exercise bike to 15 and went balls-to-the-wall for 8 minutes. That wiped me out in the same way good track reps do. The damn bike wouldn't say how far I went, but I averaged 1.5/1.6 minute miles and between 85-90 rpms, whatever that means. After I got off the bike my gloots were tighter than Bill O'Reilly's.

Back to James McMurtry, I went out to get milk last night at the local convenience store and was panhandled by a guy who looked older than me who said he needed SEPTA fare to go to the Ridge Avenue shelter and that he just got out of the Delaware County jail. As proof of this story, he flashed a jail id card. My mouth dropped as, while I've heard enough variations of the need-busfare-to-get-to-the-shelter stories to be dubious, I fought back the urge to say "I bet you're in the dataset I'm researching." I just gave him a buck instead.

Can't make it here anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home