Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, February 02, 2006

This Is Good as It Gets. . .

Take the title with a dollop of sarcasm.

Maricela had this song playing this morning while I was dragging my sorry butt out of bed. 6:30 and already too late to put in the 13 miles I wanted to do this morning. After getting to bed late last night/this morning I was still bargaining with myself about running at all this morning. All to the tune of this sappy little ballad by former Men At Work frontman Colin Hay, to whom Maricela has inexplicably taken a liking.

Anyway, good thing I only did 9 this morning, as I didn't have it. Took me a mile and a half just to take my eyes off the sidewalk. Mostly 8.5-9 minute pace miles. Columbia Bridge loop in 78:43. There was a pretty sunrise over Center City, however, and I was sufficiently asleep to where large chunks of the run would go by as I was off in some parallel universe, so that made the run go a bit quicker.

I'm going up to Harrisburg today to attend a commutation hearing for Tyrone Werts, one of the guys in the "think tank" group that I participate in every Wednesday evening at Graterford prison. For those of you who don't know, Pennsylvania takes a perverse pride in saying that "Life means life" and there are no paroles for life sentences. Tyrone is the embodiment of why that is absurd. If there is anyone who has "rehabilitated" it is Tyrone, who is one of the more remarkable people I've met either inside or out. I don't want to sound bleeding heart about this, and instead of going into detail about this I'll link to this article and also this article, which was written by a Graterford group called Lifers Inc. and Tyrone has been the principle force behind this initiative.

Anyway, I'm going to Harrisburg to lend what little support I can and watch the hearing. If you get a chance, send some positive energy in his direction.

1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Good luck in H-burg. I'll be thinking about you and Mr.Werts, and hoping the state has its head on straight for once.

As for the rest of your post, I know you've been running long enough (what is it now, 65 years?)to know that bad days are usually followed by really, really great days. Just keep going. I hope you don't have another bad day until next time we race each other.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home