Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, February 03, 2006

The Run Ain't Over. . .

till its in the blog.

Quick entry before I go to bed. Yes, I am determined to get a good night sleep tonight before getting in 20 in the morning.

Tony and I just spent quality father-son time together watching WWF Friday Night Smackdown and eating Ben & Jerry's. I think that's why one has kids, so one can do stuff like that and pass down values to the next generation.

One of those values would have to be procrastination. Don't read that like its a bad thing. Alarm beeped off at 5:30 this morning to the background of pouring rain. Hot dog! I rolled over and went back to sleep. Ran at lunch instead, after the weather changed to mid 60's and sunny. Absolutely beautiful out - drenched my short-sleeved shirt in sweat. Was so pumped that I started the MLK miles at marathon pace (6:00) and finished at tempo pace (5:45) - 4 miles in 23:33. Did the original (i.e., long) BN loop - 13.5 miles in 1:39:28.

Follow up on yesterday. I wrote in yesterdays post that I spent most of the day in Harrisburg to attend a hearing to have Tyrone Werts' life sentence commuted. I won't go into the details, although the hearing was one of the most dramatic events I've witnessed. Suffice to say that Tyrone's case was presented such that he came across as the ideal candidate for commutation, which he indeed is. If one voted against his case it would not be against the man, it would be for the principle of "life means life." The Pardons and Commutations Board, consisting of the Lieutenant Governor, the Attorney General, a victims rights advocate, and a psychologist, listened politely, asked an occasional question and then retired to another room to presumably deliberate. After 20 or 30 tense minutes they came back out, and proceeded to vote to hold the case "under advisement."

"Under advisement"?! WTF? Everyone was stunned, as no one was sure what that meant. No reasons or explanations were given. It means that Tyrone's case will be decided at a later, unspecified date. I guess that is better than rejecting his application, but this represents politicians at their worst - equivocating instead of making the tough decision. And so the process continues. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home