Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Run With the Punches

Cindy and I planned to make it down to the PR's Saturday morning run. I'll usually find some company on these runs and Cindy wants to get more involved with the group, and it gets her walking as well.

Those plans were quickly dashed as we got a flat tire on the way to the Art Museum. Fortunately, we noticed it half a block from the Getty station on 40th & Powelton and pulled in there to get it fixed. I was in shorts and was cold in the 30 degree temps, Cindy insisted that I just go run and after sticking around to see what the damage would be (the tire was shot) I took off, with a guilty conscience.

I said I'd meet Cindy at the Starbucks off Callowhill at 11:30 or so, so my mind was preoccupied about the route I should take. I missed the group by about 5 or 10 minutes and decided to go up Kelly Drive to see who I could reel in. A little before Lloyd Hall I saw Dierdre, a sometime running companion and 2:41 marathoner, going the other way and I turned around to join her for the last part of her run, which ended up going back past the Art Museum, down the Schuylkill Bike Path, into Center City and back up the Franklin Parkway to Race St, where she went home and I went back to the bike path. This was a fortunate encounter, as for these roughly four miles we caught up on things running and also on our academic pursuits, and resolved to hook up for some long runs.

I don't like divulging too much of conversations I have with folks while running, as I feel that there should be an expectation of a reasonable degree of privacy, but I'm jealous enough of Deirdre to say that she scored a trip to Jamaica at the end of this month to appear in a 10k race down there. I'm glad she's able to leverage her considerable talent to get those kind of opportunities.

I also realize why I need to make more of an effort to run with fast people. Running with Deirdre brought my sluggish 8 minute pace down into the low 7's, and got me on track to run the 4-mile MLK stretch in 28:40 and the 4-mile Kelly Drive return in 27:04, which means I took the combined Drives at sub 7. It feels really good to just cruise (best word I can think of to describe the feeling) like that. Met up with Cindy and returned home.

14 total in 98:56. Was planning on doing more, but had to adapt my run to various logistics and the result was a very satisfying run. This gives me about 71 sofar for the week and means with tomorrow's run I should top 80. This is about as high as I've gotten in my training, although I hope to first run consistent 80 mile weeks and then push that up a bit as the year progresses. After today, though, I gotta like where I'm at. But the year has just begun.

This entry is a bit more relaxed than the entries I've made over the last week. I also want to add that I didn't get to write at all yesterday, and I won't go into detail except to write that I had a double workout day: 9 (actually 9.2) miles in the morning with Erin in an expanded Acme Loop in 79:04 and 3 miles on the hamster wheel at lunch in 22:22. This morning's run was also powered by the excellent migas we ate last night at Amada in Old City.

I guess the more time I spend running the less spare minutes I have left for blogging. That's the same reason why I don't stretch after I run. But I do have a few minutes to do one thing now that I'd like to add as a regular feature to the blog this year, and that is chart a course through the US from the miles I've logged. So go have a Gatorade or pop a GU while I put 71 miles on a course.

There I'm done and you can check out how far I've got here. I haven't planned out any route or destination, all I know is that I want to avoid interstates and stick to state roads as I head westward. So I decided to take a direct way out of town and headed 71 miles up route 30, which starts here in Philly as Lancaster Ave and is the main artery of the upscale suburbs known as the Main Line and then past there goes through farm country that leads to and through Lancaster and beyond. My 71 miles sofar this year has me just shy of the Susquehannah River. Next time I'll look around and set some sort of an intermediate destination, right now I'm just glad to be out of the metro area. And I just remembered, I also have an extra 10 miles from New Years Day, but I'll tack that on the next time I post.

To infinity and beyond!

1 Comments:

Blogger ch said...

Great reading. I myself ran 9 marathons - 6 in copenhagen, 1 in Hamburg and 1 in Berlin fróm 1984-1987. Best time: 2:54.
My opponont from yesterday - Adam Holberg - claimes to have won SIDNEY PORTRACE in 1988 in front of 12000 runners.
Best Wishes
Claus Holmen

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home