Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Childish Things

Strapped on my iPod this morning despite swearing to forsake it for the winter. But the prospect of doing another 14 laps around Mary Lou Peckam park led me to look for something, anything, to keep my mind occupied.

It worked out well. I had downloaded some music before I left Philly to listen to while I was down here, and among this music was James McMurtry's latest, Childish Things. McMurtry is the son of Larry McMurtry, of Lonesome Dove and Last Picture Show fame, and I've followed his career for awhile. Listening to this cd this morning blew me away, however. His depictions of ordinary folks set amidst a backdrop of social and economic change are, at their best, right up there with some of my other working class heroes such as Bruce Springsteen, Steve Earle, and Eric Burden. Listening to "Holiday" brought tears to my eyes at marathon pace. This cd vaults up to my #1 pick of the 2005 crop. Get it or email me and I'll send you some cuts (I haven't figured out how to set up the mp3-download-from-the-blog yet).

Back to the run. This is the third straight day I've run those three-quarter mile laps around the pond. C came out with me again so I started at the park at a slow pace, and timed the splits for each lap. At first the progressively faster splits come naturally as I warm up, then at some point this innocent progression turns sinister and it becomes a challenge I cannot draw away from -- keep those negative splits coming. I got sucked into this game again today, going from 8:30 pace right down to marathon pace (just sub 6) for laps 11-13. Laps 14 & most of 15 were recovery laps so that all totaled I ran 11 in 79:19. The MP laps got me going very anaerobic, esp. the extra 13th lap, which I took because I liked how the mental torture of it simulated racing conditions. This also gives me a hard workout so that I won't have to worry about being tempted to go to the track when we are in Arlington.

Just like yesterday, any fitness gained from this mornings run was promptly worked off thanks to hearty helpings of breakfast tacos and grapefruit soda from El Taco Sabroso. I could live off this stuff.

This afternoon its up to Arlington to visit C's parents on the last leg of the holiday tour. They don't have internet access so this may be my last blog post of 2005. If so, then best wishes for the new year and I'm sure I'll have plenty to yap about when I come back online again on the other side of '06.

PS - I just checked in on IC's blog (which he prefers to keep discrete), where he had a link to this, which I think needs to get passed on. It takes a perspective like the authors to underscore how bizarre our obsession with obesity is.

1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

I was checking in to tell you that you really inspire me. Not to run, of course, but to eat. I just went out to get some tacos and a Jarritos pina soda. Que rico.

While I'm on the subject, I think Taqueria Veracruzana on Washington can hold its own.

Also, link to me if you like. Happy New Year, buddy.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home