Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Weekend Warrior

People use this term derisively. But now I'm getting second thoughts. For a few weeks I've spent weekdays devoid of obsessively planning how and where I am going to work in my daily fix, I mean runs. Its nice to have my running consist solely of heading out on weekend mornings to run a few miles and clear out the cobwebs. And I'm only three pounds over my Philly Marathon weight. Maybe this will become my new routine.

Fat chance. I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride. This ride will last probably for one more week, after which I'll ramp it up again when we're in Texas for the holidays. That also means I'll kick start this blog again.

C & I went to the Art Museum this morning to meet up w/the Philly Runners crowd; C walking while I ran. There were about 15 people out there. I started off slowly to chat w/ English Mike and B, and then moseyed up to the lead "pack" consisting of CS and two guys I didn't know. Upon joining these folks, me and the shorter of the guys I didn't know pulled away and, after we each individually ascertained that we'd be running together for the rest of the loop, started talking. DD runs for the newly formed Temple University cross country team and is mentored by RL, a friend of mine who appears to now be coaching for Temple. We got up to Falls River Bridge (4.2 miles) in 30:24 and we picked things up a bit on the Kelly Dr. leg to finish the back 4.3 miles in 27:31. Total was 8.5 in 57.55; felt good.

C met me, with the car, almost right after we finished the loop and we worked off any fitness we might have gained with breakfast at some coffee shop on 20th south of Pine where we also wrote Christmas cards. Then we went shopping. I won't bore you with those details other than, as we were in Center City I looked if I could use the gift certificate to Philadelphia Runner that I won awhile back, although I didn't have it with me.

At Philadelphia Runner, RM and JB, guys I've run with and had shoes fitted by up in Bryn Mawr, were both there and were most accommodating. Its fun to have to spend $100 on stuff I can use but really don't need. I walked out of the store with two nice winter running shirts of the kind I would never otherwise spend money on and, upon hearing I pr'd at the Philly marathon, RM threw in a congratulatory coolmax Philadelphia Runner singlet and I grabbed a bunch of PowerGels to get me up almost to my spending limit. So after grubbing all that stuff I still got a buck and something back in change.

Thus I'm all decked out for winter now, which, if you're familiar with my winter running attire (or lack thereof) you are probably smiling right now in an ironic kind of way.

In saying this I want to put in a plug for Philadelphia Runner. Although I've yet to be able to get the shoes I want there, they're staff is excellent, they do alot to support the local running community, and I always get treated very well whenever I have gone there.

Lets see if I can get out tomorrow and make it, gasp, two in a row.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home