Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Cold

Deep blue sky, hard ground, ice on the sidewalks - a real winter run. I'm guessing that temps must be in the 20s and there is a respectable wind.

Ran out the door to take T to school and kept going. Was going to go 8 but cut it short to a long 6.5 (in 54.06), mainly because I could. The weather felt great, if anything I felt overdressed, but I finished where I stashed my bike last night on Penn campus, and was afraid I'd be cold on the bikeride home. But I stayed up late doing class prep stuff (last week of classes!) and felt sluggish as a result, and in addition there was a deep dull soreness in my legs of the sort I'd expect a week or two out from a marathon. Come to think of it, its been not even three weeks since the marathon, so that would not be surprising. So instead of going up to 40th St. I just went up to 34th St.

I saw a brochure yesterday with plans for extending the trail along the Schuylkill from Locust St., the current end of the trail where I'll typically pick it up to run up to the Art Museum, south to where, by 2010, it will extend all the way to Fort Mifflin. This will make Philly an even better running city than it already is, and will expand my running options into SW Philly as it gets developed. There is a website where presumably this is all laid out, but it requires plugins that my browser currently doesn't have and I'm not in the mood to get right now.

Finally, I'm adding a picture here from the 2004 NYC marathon. WHatever photo shooting company took pictures at NYC last year emailed that they had a clearance sale on old photos. I checked them out and by a strange serendipity they had one of me crossing the Willis Ave Bridge into the Bronx just after I passed the guy on the prosthetics with the springy feet. To see this guy running like that after 20 miles, taller, as if he were on stilts. when my legs (which were connected to real feet) were dying made a profound impression upon me. The impact Simon had on me can be gauged by my surprise at seeing that, in the photo, he appears to be normal height; in my mind I remember him as much taller, as if he were on stilts. This encounter was the catalyst for me stepping up to run with ATC at this years NYC. And since we're on that topic, on the right is another photo that I ripped from their website, from this year's NYC, showing me and Jambal. I don't know where IC was when this pic was taken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home