Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, December 19, 2005

Day Late

I ran yesterday and didn't get to blog. I didn't run today and now am getting to blog. It keeps the stack of finals I've promised myself I'd grade tonight at bay for a few more minutes.

First of all yesterday's run. Meant to get out of the house at 6:30, made it by 7:10. Had to get back by 8 to get ready for church. This meant a quick 6.5 mile Art Museum loop. Quick(er than usual) was at about 47 minutes. Sunday morning is the quietest time of the week, and I had Penn's campus, then the Schuylkill path, and all of Powelton Village to myself. I shared it with Deb Davies on the iPod but it was cold enough so that the earphone chord got stiff and wouldn't stay in my ear, and Deb left me when the iPod stopped at about mile 5. So for the rest of the season the iPod has been banished to treadmill workouts.

I'm one run short of 2640 miles on the year. Thats an average of 220 miles per month. To some folks that will seem like alot, others will wonder how I can admit to such a paltry amount. To me its like putting one foot in hot water and the other in cold and saying that on the average I feel warm. For this includes months like this month, where I've got maybe 60 miles logged, as well as a few 300+ mile months that I'm proud of (although others would be less than impressed). Its been a long year.

Next year I'm going to take a trip with my miles. I'll start from home and use mapping software to plot my mileage to some destination somewhere in the US. I'm thinking 2600 miles this year would have got me out to Vegas or Salt Lake City. Maybe next year I'll shoot to get to the Pacific. 5 or 10 or 20 miles at a time.

This is the time of year where we all think alot about whats going to be different next year. Runningwise, I'm going to shoot for more mileage and to run with faster people. Last year at this time I said I would go all out for a good fall marathon time. I'm not sure I went as all out as I envisioned I would, but I did get me a better marathon time. And more important, I got me to a place where I will make that same resolution again about the marathon time. For this year I want to make things hurt more - make the aching to go faster hurt more, as well as bringing on the pain involved in getting there. Treat life like an interval workout.

And finally, I'm thinking of things to do with this blog. No radical things yet but some exploratory things. What makes a good blog? What makes a blog that people read? Do I want a blog that people read? Stuff like that which will help keep my mind distracted on those endless miles I plan to run.

And in closing, my self imposed vacation from running ends on Friday. I have the day off and will kick off a base period of just logging miles. From Friday to when we get back from Texas I'll just try to fit a run into the nooks and crannies of every day, after that and full of New Years determination I will set forth and march on Wilmington, on Paris, and on whatever other runs lay before me in 06.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home