Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Back in Philly

From 83 degrees on New Years Day in Texas to rainy all day and in the 40s in Philly.

First, for the record, I ran 11.5 miles in about 94 minutes yesterday, doing a shorter version of the loop I did last Friday. Last run in Arlington, and again a strong headwind. Then off in a plane and back to Philly at around midnight.

Today I did a two-fer. On my lunch hour I did 4 on the hamster wheel. I took it up to 6 minute pace for two of those miles and finished in about 26:15. I felt like I was just getting warmed up when the run was over.

This evening I went out with the Tuesday night Philly Runner folks. Cindy actually wanted to go so she could walk and we could hang out a bit with the club at Bishops Collar afterwards. I rarely go to the Tuesday run and didn't realize that nobody wanted to go over 5 miles, when I was looking to do a full 8.5 mile loop. So I ran the first 2.5 miles with Kevin J. and English Mike, whereupon they turned around and I kept on running into the night. A dark, lonely, and drizzly run. I timed an early 4 miles at 29:29, and then without trying sped up a bit to run the next three in 19:52 before cooling down and finishing the 8.5 mile loop in 60:20.

I dislike running in the evenings, especially in the dark, for a variety of reasons. Among them is the idea that it is not getting any lighter, which is at least a consolation in the mornings. I was also a bit miffed that no one seemed to be in training mode. I'm always of the mindset that the miles you log in Jan and Feb lays the groundwork for the rest of the year. This left me feeling farther apart from the crowd. A feeling that became visual on the last few miles of the run when I could look over what seemed a vast expanse of water to see the far off headlights going down Kelly Drive. You get the picture.

I did get to see Scott this evening, which is a rare treat as our paths don't cross too often. He may have a different take on tonight's run.

And the post run get together was cancelled, as people supposedly felt too wet and cold to do any socializing. Dunno what to make of that other than I didn't mind spending a bit more time with the kids. And now its off to do grocery shopping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home