Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, December 29, 2005

10 More Laps

We had everything packed into the rental car and ready to go up to Arlington to Cindy's parents yesterday and at the last minute decided to stay down here another day. I'm glad we did, mostly for the kids' sakes, but it did mean that I had to do laps around the pond one more time.

This morning I left the watch home, as I wanted to make sure I went easy. I also took the iPod along one more time and caught up on some more of the music I'd been meaning to listen to. This morning it was Hayes Carll, a Texas music guy who's most recent cd, Little Rock, has gotten some attention. I had his first cd, Flowers & Liquor, which was good, but not running music. I also had Los Super Seven, a Tex-Mex music supergroup fronted by David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas from Los Lobos and which came to my attention through Joe Ely's involvement with them. Much better running music and also left me nostalgic for my San Antonio days. I write all this about the music because the run was, well, boring. Ran out to the park and did 10+ laps. 8.5 miles, not timed.

Me and Cindy went to Taco Sabroso again, fourth day in a row. I'm glad to see that Ian posted a comment taking objection to my slam on Mexican food joints in Philly. Yes, I was hyperbolizing a bit, as there are now a few decent Mexican places in addition to Tacqueria Veracruzana. But I still haven't found a place that has the dark stringy barbacoa that you get down here, nor any place that serves Menudo.

Again, this may be my last post of the year on the blog. One of the things that kept me busy on this mornings run was coming up with my top ten running moments of 2005. They are:

10. Sept. 27. Track workout. A good track workout evokes both love and hate and a peek into the abyss of my soul. This was one of my better such workouts.

9. July 29th. A run through Mount Moriah cemetary. Not necessarily a memorable run in and of itself, but more one that represents the paradigm shift that overtook my training runs this year - where internet mapping software and adventurous running partners led me to all sorts of new Philadelphia nooks and crannies.

8. 5000m event at the first Wissahickon Wanderers summer track meet. A contest between me, Chuck, Kevin F. and Ian. Laughed all the way to last place.

7. Virginia Beach Half Marathon. Mediocre finishing time but most excellent road trip.

6. Boston Marathon. I must be getting jaded to place Boston at #6.

5. Black Eye Pea 5k. Great way to start the New Year, with the whole family racing.

4. The Parkway Run 5k. Both the race and the spoils generated from the race were amazing.

3. Broad Street Run. Best race I never ran this year. Tony's First Communion, and the family that visited for the occasion, made this event one of only few reasons I can imagine where I would gladly pass on one of my favorite races.

2. 2:42 at Philly Marathon. Took me four tries to get here, this is the prize I had my eyes on all year.

1. Guiding Jambal through the NYC marathon. If I had to choose between this and #2, I would forsake #2, without question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home