Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, January 09, 2006

Monday Twoaday

Got two workouts in today. The first one was with Kevin and Erin on a slightly truncated 34th St. extension of the Acme Loop. I believe it was the first time Kevin has done one of these things.

Nothing too tough, 9 miles in 75.54. The weather was perfect for running, 40s and overcast. Its been like this for about a week now, I'll take it for as long as it lasts. The compelling question of the morning was, in states with deposits for bottles and cans, who pockets the nickel when the consumer doesn't return the container?

My most memorable running experience of the day was lunch. I grabbed a quick soup and salad at a cafeteria that is on the top (16th) floor of the building where I do my work out of at Penn. I don't go there much, but when I do I always make sure to sit by the windows that wrap around three sides of the joint. You get a birds eye view of West Philadelphia and Center City and I spent lunch just studying the neighborhood from on high.

I could see 34th St. from where we picked it up this morning at Penn all the way out to the big white hot air balloon that marks the zoo. From there, the houses give way to rolling hills and brown trees, signaling Fairmount Park. Memorial Hall is another landmark I saw that we ran by this morning and then I could just make out the direction, but not the precise coordinates, of the rest of our loop. It struck me how compact everything looked, much different than when you're at woodchuck's eye level slogging out every mile step by step. Neighborhoods also looked undifferentiated, without specifically picking out Spring Garden St., you couldn't tell where Powelton Village becomes Mantua, although that border is very distinct, in a socioeconomic sense, when you're on the ground.

Transformed perspectives lead to transformed paradigms. Just ask Picasso.

That made the second workout anticlimactic, as I did 3 miles (20:33) on the hamster wheel when I got back to USP. Ramped it up to 6 minute pace and a level 4 grade for the middle mile or so. This got me puffing but not gulping; about where I wanted it as today is an easy day. I had to complain about the condition of the treadmills, as one was out of order, the second one's tread stuttered and skipped, the third was loud and rattly and felt slow for the 1/4 mile that I was on it, and the fourth (out of 4) was okay. Terry, the ARC czar, pleaded a meager repair budget and I told her to just tell me who to yell to then. Stay tuned, as I'll vent here if this becomes a bigger problem.

Lastly, I'm very tired. I spent too much time playing with some new data matching software that I got my grubby hands on and which had me compulsively learning it over the weekend (Scott will know what that is like), which competed with prepping for a workshop I'm leading down in Orlando on Thursday. As a result I went to bed way too late last night/this morning and was up again at 5:30 to run. Thus I have been dragging all day (my mom will shake her head disapprovingly about now). So I vowed to go to bed by 10 tonight and am already running late.

So good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home