Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sick Role

Calling in sick today.

Nothing major - my head feels very congested, my throat is sore, and I just don't have a good grip on things. I've got a ton of sick time and this way I can excuse myself from a bunch of obligations I have, including a 2-hour long faculty meeting.

Its interesting in that, in the Sociology of Medicine class that I teach, we spent the last class on sociologist Talcott Parsons and his formulation of the "sick role." Among other things, being sick gives us a "free pass" to stay home and otherwise shirk our normal duties, although with it we also have the responsibility to get better. Sounds pretty obvious? Well, there is more to it than that. We as a society, myself included, are not very good at using this free pass and I'm sure I'll be working some at home. But it will be stuff I want to do with limited interruptions.

But I will use my free pass to take a day off from running. Save myself a bit for the weekend and consolidate my recent gains. Probably a good thing to do, regardless of any illness I may have.

Yesterday I ran 10 miles, went out to the Lansdowne Sycamore and back around. Another once-regular route that I haven't run in awhile. Nice to see the tree again. Run went strong, albeit untimed.

While we're on medical issues, I'll document for the record that I'm dealing with a nagging case of poison ivy. It started over the weekend on the base of my thumb, started another encampment on my right calf, and is still franchising out to various other locations. I get PI every couple of years and this is pretty much the pattern. Gives me discomfort that I need to bear with for about a week before the tide turns and all the rashes dry up. Doubt my staying home will help that any.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I got some poison oak on a run a few weeks ago and learned on the tubes that hot, hot water for about a minute or two (over 140 degrees, like from the shower head) just until it starts to hurt provides great relief for a couple of hours. Try it, you'll love it!

Get better soon.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home