Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Regression

Its hard to soar with eagles when you run with turkeys. More on that in a minute.

This morning's run was a slog. Nothing major went wrong, just alot of little things. Primary among them is the damn daylight savings time. I had an 8:00 appointment (more on that in a minute) so I had to leave early to get in my planned 12.5 miles. This meant leaving the house at 5:30, and it was pitch black. Like it was January again.

It was still dark when I got to Tinicum refuge, which of course has no streetlights. It wasn't until two miles in that it got light enough so that I didn't have to keep keep it slow while riveting my eyes on the path. By that time I became aware of Spring around me. Odd ducks were all around, suggesting they might be migrating. The bunnies were out in masses, with their little white tails bobbing up and down in the breaking light. Larger white markers announced deer jumping off into the woods. And then I heard a loud gobble and looked up to see a large turkey perched in a tree.

It surprises and amazes me how Tinicum continues to surprise and amaze me.

Otherwise my run included rain showers, wrestling with traffic, and an overall feckless feeling. Just lacked any drive to put anything into the run and various interruptions along the way exacerbated this. 12.5 miles in 1:51:43.

My appointment this morning was with Maureen, my physical therapist. I had written a few weeks back, in conjunction with overuse pain in my legs, of my resolution to see her. To wrap up an hour appointment into a few sentences, my ankle is in good shape but still not 100%, I do have low grade post-tibular tendonitis, which can run up the calf and turn into medial shin splints. That sounds worse than it is however, as it is very low grade. The treatment? Stretching. At this point in my training Maureen said I don't want to change things a whole lot, I want to avoid strength training, and just want to do regular low grade calf stretches. She even showed me a yoga move called the downward-facing dog. Oh yeah, and ice is my friend.

My log says I have now put in 736 miles in 2008. This means that if I don't run another mile this year, I'll still have averaged running 2 miles a day.

3 Comments:

Blogger ryandavid said...

This entry had me laughing. Way to make light of a less than enjoyable time.

6:29 PM  
Blogger MB said...

downward-facing dog a good "staple" of any runners diet

especially good if slowly rocking the heels as if glue is pulling them to the floor

7:36 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I promise to stretch with you, if that will help. I have a DVD called Yoga for Athletes - it's really annoying, but we can suffer through it together.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home