Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pickle Run 5k

I ended the last entry with a cliffhanger of sorts. Today I raced the Delco Road Runners' Pickle Run, a 5k prediction run, meaning that there were no watches allowed on the course and the winners were those who came closest to their predicted times. I predicted a 17:30 to close yesterday's blog entry.

It was chilly out this morning - sunny, low 30's, with a bit of a wind. Got in 4 miles at Tinicum before heading out there, and another mile to warm up at Ridley Creek State Park, where the race was held. Along with me and Reba, Reba's dad and her friend Amy also were out to run. Chad was volunteering at the race - sadly his running has been severely hampered by a degenerative hip problem, but he has plans to run Broad Street this year. I look forward to seeing him out there. Eleanor, who I run into frequently at races, was also out, as were about 130 others.

Not much to write about the race. It was along the "flat" part of the bike path that runs through the park, out and back. Except for the obligatory high school boys that sprinted out of the chute I was in the lead from the start. For about a mile I heard people breathing behind me, but that faded and by the turnaround I knew that, as expected, I wouldn't have competition. No splits to report, I ran hard but not 5k hard through the whole race and finished at...

17:50

What I liked about the race was that it was the first one I have ever been to where the winner (i.e., me) got absolutely no recognition for doing so. Prizes (jars of pickles; bottles of pickle juice, pimped up pickles, etc) went to those with the least difference between predicted and actual times, those with the most difference in their times, those who found pickles hidden along the course, and so on. Nary a mention of the winning time. I finished 24th in predicting my time.

The only thing notable about my finish is that it marks the debut of "Seebo" appearing in the results. As I wrote yesterday, my time doesn't mean much, as I did not plan to run any faster than I had to. A jolly little romp for a Saturday morning. Total, with warm ups and cool down, of 10 miles.

1 Comments:

Blogger kevin f forde said...

Hey nobody should walk away empty handed.............how about a copy of the essential Judas Priest!!!!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home