Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Drip Dry and Other Random Stuff

Got a dusting of snow last night, so I passed on running the streets this morning for the lack of traction. Since I'm taking Tony to school, this means I rejuggled things and hit the hamster wheel just before going in to work.

For several reasons this was a good day to make an easy day. It was also a good sign at how I resisted this. I had Spoon's most recent cd, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, on the iPod. At first my running and the music were out of sync, but as I got warmed up the music matched my stride better, and I was in a groove by the time the fourth song, "Don't You Evah," cued up. After that I felt I could run forever, and had to talk myself down by reminding me that it was an easy day.

And then at mile 3.25 the treadmill abruptly stopped again. Now, slay a treadmill once and I feel pretty good about myself. If this keeps up, however, I start losing respect for the treadmill and demand a better adversary. Staff claims they had a repair guy out who couldn't find anything wrong with the machine. I said he needs to look harder.

So I changed machines, but that messed up my rhythm. Speaking of rhythm, the NY Times has an article in this morning's paper by its health writer, Gina Kolata (gotta love that name), on getting in "the zone" while running. Interesting and worth checking out.

Then I did pull-ups. Just telling the folks I was running with last Saturday how pull-ups have always been my nemesis. Everytime after I run the hamster wheel I go to the weight room and do some reps. At first I was pleased to get one rep per set. This morning I did 3 sets of 3 reps. That feels good, I can see progress.

My time at the gym took about a half hour longer than I planned as I ran into several colleagues and chatted awhile. As a result, I found out one guy, Kamal, with whom I occasionally talk running, will also be up for tenure next year, and I also got roped into serving on a committee by another colleague, Mike. Networking.

And finally I had to drip dry this morning. USP used to provide towels but stopped that last Spring, citing MRSA concerns. I always thought it was a convenient excuse for discontinuing the towel service (and still have my suspicions) but it appears forward thinking on their part. But that means I have to bring my own towel with me and I forgot today.

4 miles, something under 30 minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger John W said...

That is a great album. "The Underdog" has turned into my favorite tempo run tune.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home