Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Patience

Overcast late fall day today. Wunderground says its 44 degrees out. I teach tonight so I am taking it slow this morning, perhaps a bit too slow, however, as I feel like I gotta get my day started.

Ran what I considered an easy day after back to back 6 milers, which is progress because lately easy days have meant days off. Did 3.5 miles on the Cobbs Creek loop (heading back on Cedar) in 33:19, a bit slower even than what I ran Saturday. But I shouldn't have even timed it. I was taking it relaxed, stopping to read the sign announcing new construction of a church on Cedar Ave up near 58th St, slowing down when the traffic light changes instead of my usual urban fartlek through the intersection, and stuff like that.

In doing so I let my mind drift, I guess a sign of progress, as I wasn't as uptight about my footing as I have been. I processed my PT appt. yesterday, and thought about what Maureen said about when she was working with the Villanova basketball team, how ankle sprains would be taped up and players would be playing again without missing much time. The players themselves demanded it, as did the coaches. And I think here I am with my rehab seeing weeks now turn into months. Now I'll say it (before anyone else does) that obviously I'm not a college ball player, but I wonder nonetheless. Alot of it rests on where on the continuum I see myself - somewhere between a competitive athlete and a middle aged guy trying to stay in shape. Where does running fit in my life? I won't have an answer for that but instead my actions will answer that for me.

What works here for me is patience. I meditated on that for a long time this morning. Nobody (not even myself) is pressuring me to jump back into racing anytime soon. My ankle is still hurting, again this morning on the inside around the bump, reminding me that despite the progress I saw yesterday it will be awhile before this goes away. And I think about the little things that bring me joy in my running now - putting in 3 straight days, shooting for a 20 mile week - and there is a certain fun in that that is a break from the training regimen of the past. That'll change, I feel things get better, and I'm content, at least for today, to wait, to take it slow, and to enjoy the little things. That may change tomorrow, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Patience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home