Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

You Don't Miss Your Water...

... till your well runs dry.

Two weeks ago I sprained by ankle. Yesterday Ira gave my ankle a clean bill of health. Just as he appeared amazed at how swollen it was last week, he expressed surprise at how much the swelling went down over the course of last week. He took off my soft cast, gave me strengthening exercises to do, and said I could run as I felt comfortable.

That was great to hear. In response to that I laced up my shoes this morning and went out for 30 minutes. I took it slow but when I hit 38th by Hamilton Walk in 9:38, I saw that I've run this first mile slower. Gradually my ankle started to ache, mainly along the sides of the calves (actually above the ankle) where I have felt the most pain from the sprain. 30 minutes is the most I would want to go this morning.

Now I have the ankle elevated and am icing it. It remains sore and we'll see how it feels after a day of walking around on it before deciding what to do tomorrow. Contrary to what other people may think, I'm in no hurry to get back to cheetah mode. I'm also concerned that I may be favoring the ankle and thereby impede its healing. Last time I had a bad sprain, back in 2000, I feel that I did this and it took months before the ankle was pain free.

I have a head full of thoughts, but I'll take things a day at a time. Before today I haven't run anything in two weeks. I don't remember the last time I was completely celibate for that long. What I missed most about running was the head clearing qualities of being out there for awhile, especially on a beautiful morning. I missed the racing some, but this weekend, with the heat and the major marathons, left me thinking how I can lament my misfortunate injury or I could have lamented actually being out in Minneapolis running TCM. Either way, I would have cursed the running gods. But I think that all this preparation for a day that may not come, or, perhaps worse, comes in a less than ideal form, is a strong indicator that the fulfillment one gets from this wretched sport doesn't come on the race course. The quest for PR's, I have a feeling, are ultimately a chimera we chase while what we seek is literally underfoot.

Its a thought I've been playing with. Not well developed but, after thinking about it during this downtime, there seems to be some truth here.

3.2 miles on this loop in 30:09. Slow and steady.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Welcome back, sweetheart. Smoochie Woochies.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your well and getting back on the roads. I'm there with you: slow runs on the dreadmill for me for a little while.

You had another ankle injury? Were both sort of simple mishaps or might there be some ankle strength issues? If the latter, that's my achilles (he he, get it?), so I have some good strength routines for them if you're interested.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home