Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

One False Move

Had a good run set up yesterday morning in Columbus. The folks I'm working for over there told me of a path that follows the Scioto River that starts about 4 blocks from my hotel and that goes out 5 miles to the Ohio State University campus and beyond. I figured I'd do 5 out and turn back.

I had no trouble finding the path. It was dark and there was no one on the path. This was spooky, but still much preferable to a 10 mile treadmill workout. With about 2.5 miles down the path becomes fenced in and is closed due to construction. I go onto the grass next to it and then veer over to the wide shoulder on the street that runs parallel to the path.

And then it happened. I figure I must take tens of thousands of steps running. Virtually all of them land as intended. But the one I took to get onto the shoulder of the street did not. In the dark I failed to notice the curb that dropped about six inches to the road and my right foot buckled under my leg which rolled outside. I went down amidst pain and cursing.

I knew as soon as I went down that I sprained/tore some ligaments and that my run was over. I knew I'd be sitting through a few minutes of excruciating pain, and gritted my teeth accordingly. Then I looked out at the downtown Columbus "skyline", still lit up, in the distance and wondered how I'd get back to the hotel.

This is one of those lonely moments I get when my running strands me and I realize I have nothing on my person but shorts, a shirt, and sneakers. I flagged down a pick up truck driven by a guy who was doing construction on the site that was closed off, and he very graciously gave me a ride back downtown. Then I hobbled through a full day that included a presentation and a trip home.

First off, I'm okay. I haven't gotten a sprain in a long time but knew that is what it is, and didn't see a need to go to an ER to have them tell me this. Last night the area above my ankle was very swollen, the swelling seems to have gone down a bit today. Yesterday I couldn't walk without crutches, today I'm hobbling around without them. Running is of course out of the question for the next few days.

So I'm still trying to see where I'm at with this. I am very disappointed, as it looked like I was finally gaining some traction with my training. I also have races scheduled for the next few weekends, and I'm still not ruling them out but I'm very conscious not to do anything stupid. Right now it depends on day to day progress, and its too early to tell what that is going to be like.

But mostly I'm feeling depressed about getting this injury and the consequences associated with it. Not just running, but how all of life's details become that much more complicated due to my limited mobility.

I probably won't post anything until I start running again, which I'm still hoping (clinging to the hope) will be the weekend. In the meantime, send positive karma and healing thoughts toward my right ankle.

9 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Sending positive thoughts, love, and please-don't-be-stupid-and-run-too-soon vibes towards your hobbled hoof.

12:06 PM  
Blogger ian said...

oh, crap. i was really likely seeing the momentum you had going. i bet you can just pause it, and that you don't have to stop it.

i just looked in my log from my sprain in april. it felt pretty bad. i took four full days off, then eased back in. thirteen days post-sprain, i set my 5k pr of 15:53 alongside you. oh, wait.

so anyway, i'm with reba. don't be stupid. and, yeah, i'm also sending lots of love and smoochie woochies.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Just for the record... I said nothing about smoochie-woochies.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Argh! At least you didn't sprain it on the treadmill, which is what I thought when I saw Reba's comment on Ian's blog...

Smoochie-woochies
k

2:22 PM  
Blogger MB said...

don't forget to ice if there is swelling, my recent setback I totally forgot about ice!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hmmm... Mark says ICE... hear that Seebo? Interesting.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Quinto Sol said...

I, too, had a sprain recently. Luckily mine was not serious.

Wishing you a speedy recovery... sans the smoochie woochies.

5:32 PM  
Blogger jim said...

think we got a new nickname for seebo? Hope you're back out there soon.

7:17 PM  
Blogger John W said...

I am sending all the Karma I got your way Seebo. I hope it isn't to bad and heals up quickly.

I second the ice. Over the past year I have been using it on even minor aches and pains and it makes a noticeable difference. I really couldn't beleive how much better just 2 days with a couple 20 minute icings made things feel.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home