Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, May 04, 2007

One Foot in Front of the Other, Quickly

I googled "running" and these are the directions that were provided. Its been so long since I've run that I needed a refresher on how to do it.

I am also reminded why afternoon running doesn't work for me. I took Monday and Tuesday off. I was old-man walking as bad as I have after any marathon. Is it age or did I give it more effort than I thought on Sunday? Anyway, on Wednesday I was ready to head out in the afternoon but late work and some phone calls tied me up until it was dark. Yesterday I was set to head out with Chem Steve, Ian, John Dubs and the boyz until I got hung up at the car mechanic. Instead of a vigorous jaunt through Fairmount I had to settle for 32 easy (read creaky) minutes (say 4 miles) - wanted to go Tinicum but got barred from going in by construction work that was going on, so I ended up running through the backstreets of Prospect Park.

I ran a full Tinicum figure 8 this morning. Glorious morning to do so. A very sensuous run, with vivid spring colors, scents of flowers, and a background chorus of birds. This was the type of run I longed after on those cold winter months when I was sliding on crusty snow amidst a world of grays. Couldn't help but feel joy in this mornings run, and my pace reflected it as I gained speed as I went along. I beat the construction guys out there when I went out, and blew by them cranking up their heavy equipment (they are laying pipe) on the way back.

The smell of lilacs sure beats the smell of dead possum roadkill on the side of the road.

9.5 miles this morning, 78:17.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Seems we both prefer lilacs to dead possum... just one of the many things we have in common!

11:14 AM  
Blogger ian said...

Heh. You said "laying pipe."

Um--I always think that we end up training as much for the day after the race as the race, and your OMW is likely due less to the fact that you are an OM and more to the fact that you have fewer miles on your legs these days.

Veena hardly felt her last marathon, because it was just a few miles more than her usual daily mileage...

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home