Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Redaction

Message from Linda Turetsky of Lin-Mark, the race organizers from Saturday's Clean Air 5k:

Hi,

[snip]

The previously certified course map used was past 10 years old now. With the drive being repaved and new curbing -- yes it does affect the distances, it obviously affected the turn-around.

We will be requesting a new certification from the event. We do not have courses certified unless the event requests it of us. There are many, many marks from many events out on the course. Plus poles can also be moved.

#1 everyone ran the same course.

#2 the differential was probably 50 to 100 feet off.

#3 We will contact Bill Belleville, the PA Head Certifier requesting the most current 5K map for future use.

I trust this answers your course questions. You and your team mates support of the event was greatly appreciated. We also appreciate the fact that you care very much about your sport, and took the time to bring this concern to our attention.

Regards,
Linda Toretsky

Now for the back story. The exuberance of running well on Saturday became dampened, simultaneously for myself and for various others, when it became apparent that everyone did well. These doubts were initially assuaged by the fact that the 5k course was USATF certified. However, some more digging revealed that this course certification was from 1995, and that certifications are only valid for 10 years. A more recent course certification for virtually the same course has the turnaround at 2 lampposts farther up than the one used at the Clean Air 5k. This is what Linda is responding to, and confirming.

The course was short and the 5k times are invalid.

This sucks. As much as I want to say its okay, its not. I set my heart on something, thought I had it, celebrated, and now its pulled away. Its a loss, with all the pain that comes with it. I find myself going about my business today only to at times remind myself that Saturday was for naught, and feel an emptiness all over again.

A piece of bad luck. No more 5k tries this year. At this point I need to move on. I was looking at marathons yesterday and see that the stars seem to be aligning for Twin Cities. Its on Columbus Day weekend, it gives me a chance to visit my friend Barry in Minneapolis, and it is the site of the USATF Masters Marathon Championships. Its not a done deal that I'm running it, but pretty damn close. After Broad Street I'll take a little break and then start gearing up.

Ran a relatively easy 8 mile progression run this morning on the Drives. My mile target times were laid out, suffice to say that I exceeded all of them by good margins. Actual mile splits were: 7:30; 7:00; 6:46; 5:52; 5:39; 5:30; 6:22; 7:48. It was good to be out running, but I wouldn't be honest if I said that the 5k fiasco wasn't hanging over me.

8.4 miles on the loop of the Drives in 55:49.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Did you run with courage? Did you give your best effort and leave it all out on the course with that frenetic kick at the end? Did you get to share your race-day success with a friend by sharing the work and running selflessly?

Can a moved lightpost negate three "yes" answers above?

I have some experience with this. My only 5K under 16 wasn't certified, and it pissed me off a bit as well when I thought about it afterwards and came to the conclusion that it was short. Just remember that how you trained to get to this point and how you raced aren't affected by someone else's mistakes.

Twin Cities, eh? Given my Chicago dilemma I might just be on the line with you.

2:02 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Your post reads like a chapter out of a runner's novel. What a terrible dilemma.

TCM does sound interesting and something I have been looking at myself being the Masters Cahampionship and all.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home