Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Caliente!

Something inside me got unleashed this morning.

Headed out to the track. At Mike's suggestion, I set out to do 1600 meter repeats (2 min recovery) in a repeat of a track workout I did on Oct. 5, where I nailed four in 5:15, 5:16, 5:16, 5:15. Mike said repeating this workout would be a good way to measure any progress I've made since then. I also had in mind an email from Chemistry Steve describing a workout doing 800 meter reps that was fast enough to where it got me watching my back. So I wanted to respond to that as well.

I ran down to Franklin Field, where I saw KJ doing 800s. We chatted a bit as he took his recovery simultaneously with my warmup, and then it was down to business. First 1600 in 5:14, piece of cake, from there it went 5:11; 5:10; 5:09. Started to feel the burn on the last lap of this fourth rep, but had plenty left to go for a fifth. Had enough in me to hang for this final rep until the last 400 meters, where I just hammered it home - 5:10!

5 reps (2 minutes recovery after each) on average about 5 seconds faster apiece than the four reps I did a month ago. That's definitely progress. That also amounts to an 8k (5x1600), on the installment plan, in 25:54.

Regular readers of this blog are probably by now used to my writing on how the track pushes me to the edge. The thing about today's workout is that it didn't happen. I was in control. Sure it was hard, but it was not at the edge. I doubt I could have pulled out a sixth rep, but I would have to have shaved a few more seconds off of each rep for me to have hit the red zone. Next time.

All totaled, 10+ miles in 73:18.

1-2-3. . . 5-6-7!

2 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Dang!

What kinda rest are you taking?

12:39 PM  
Blogger John W said...

Great Workout. You are on fire lately, it is cool to see. The enthusiasm of the post is infectious. All of these track workouts posted by you and Ian are bound to get my ass motivated for some serious time on the oval.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home