Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Five Week Taper

That's what my Spring marathon training has boiled down to. Who knows, maybe I'm onto something.

Neck problem is still there. Monday night my throat started getting sore and eating became painful enough to where my diet was limited to split pea soup, cream of wheat, and yogurt. This morning the neck feels a little better, the first time in the last two weeks I can say this, but I don't know if this means much. I saw my dentist yesterday, who said my teeth look great, and I see my doctor again this afternoon. Anyway, I didn't see any reason to run hard with a sore throat yesterday and then didn't get to run at all.

So I am in a position where I have trained hard for 2+ months and now have been laid low for the last two weeks, two crucial weeks in the training cycle. I suppose I'm not the first to have had this happen, and I don't want to cry about it as much as get out of the mental malaise this has put me in, where I've lost all the intensity that I've been able to build up. While physically its questionable that I'll be able to do more than maintain my current fitness level, which is enough to at least theoretically reduce my marathon PR, I'm going to need to do something to get back at least enough mental intensity to have the drive to do this.

I just don't feel that right now, and think that first I need to turn a corner on this @#$%^ neck thing. Even if the antibiotics weren't working (which they are not), you'd figure that the problem should have gone away by itself by now.

All this as a preface to an uninspired 8.5 mile run this morning. We took the usual Acme route but did the 40th St/Lebanon version which shortened it a bit. Erin suggested it and I'm not sure exactly why, but the usual drive for recouping that extra mile just isn't there. I thought about getting another session in today, but between the doctor's appt. and going to prison tonight, that's not going to work either.

The run, anyway, was like old times when Club WestPhilly was just me and Erin. Conversation was good, if overly pointy headed. Windy and cold, typical nasty late Winter day.

Weather to match my mood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home