Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Cesar Rodney Half Marathon

If you've been following this blog, you'll know that this hasn't been the best of weeks for me, and as the week progressed there was some uncertainty as to whether or not I'd run this race. But the swollen lymph node in my neck, although it isn't getting any better, doesn't seem to be related much to whether or not I run.

After a trial run yesterday of 8.5 miles around the Drives I decided that, although the pounding of the running didn't make my throat feel great, it was definitely bearable. I even went out and ran an additional two that afternoon with Maricela, who has been running in gym class and decided she likes running. I asked her if she wanted to run a little bit (no pressure) yesterday afternoon and she said yes, so we did two loops around Woodlands Cemetery. Yesterday was such a nice day, it was hard not to get excited at the prospect of racing.

Marita arranged a dinner for all the Philly Runners who were running CR last night at Marra's Restaurant, a South Philly institution, and I enjoyed the company (25+ folks) though I had alot of difficulty with the food as it is very painful right now for me to chew. But there were about 15 Philly Runners who were going to race today, and the camraderie further amped the excitement for the race.

But today started with rain against the bedroom windows, a rain that got more intense as Cindy, Kevin F. and I drove down to Wilmington. Rain cleared up just as the race was to start, and as we were running late (sic) we didn't have much time to get wet before lining up to go. Cannon went off and the racehorses started slow enough to where I was in the lead pack for the first downhill mile (5:25) before I eased back and ran with Kevin F. in mile 2 (5:34) and got my feet soaked running through a puddle. I thought Kevin will either do really well or die, and he faded back a bit during mile 3 and Tom Haxton, the eventual winner, passed me at some point during this mile. I was now in 7th, on my own, and, with a 5:52 split, slowing down a bit more than I wanted. Miles 4 & 5, at 5:47 and 5:46, were better but not at PR pace.

The next two miles represent the crucible of this race, a steady uphill slog. I tried to maintain a steady effort and let myself slow down a little, but at 6:08 and 6:07 I ended up slowing down considerably more than I wanted without even realizing it. I crested the hill, passing a little observation tower, and was surprised that nobody had passed me. But I heard footsteps coming. At around the 8-mile mark (5:52) the footsteps became a shadow, and I recognized that shadow to be Scott Purcell. I had run neck and neck against Scott in the Delaware Distance Classic 15k a year and a half ago, a race where he set the pace and gave the impression he was biding his time before he kicked, and when he did he beat me by about 10 seconds.

Given this memory and where my confidence was after those slower miles, had he thrown in a surge at this point I likely would not have responded. But he kept behind me and let me pace, and I resolved I would stay with him up through mile 9 (5:50) and then through mile 10 (5:51). This stretch was flatter and included the course turnaround just before mile 9, which meant we doubled back on the runners behind us and all the folks I dined with last night, the PAC Track Club folks I run with, and various other folks I know from running way too many local races each sacrificed a few breaths to cheer me. I usually don't respond much to that kind of support, but today, with this guy on my ass, it really gave me a boost.

My mile 10 split was 58:16. A PR was definitely out of reach, but at this point I had my hands full just hanging on to seventh place. The footsteps finally moved to overtake me and to my surprise it was not Scott anymore, but a runner I didn't know in a red singlet. Red singlet's surge was just that, only a surge, and I held on. From mile 10 to about a quarter mile before the finish the course doubles back on itself and the tortuous uphill stretch now becomes a screaming downhill. I'm much more confident on the downhill, so when red singlet tried a few more surges I wouldn't let myself be shaken. But neither would he as I bombed down the winding hills. It would come down to that final uphill stretch.

The last quarter mile of this course is a 4 or 5% uphill grade that is brutal to duel somebody on. Last year Ian whipped me soundly here and I was again nervous about my ability to stave off red singlet. But we careened around the hairpin turn and headed uphill, and I kept pushing and the footsteps faded. That moment of clinching a close race in the final stretch always feels unreal, and I continued to go fast enough to where my legs almost buckled a few times. Now the race was against the clock at the finish line, which was ticking towards 1:16. I tried, and I thought I made it in in 1:15:59 but my official gun time was 1:16:00.

However, my chip time was 1:15:57, so I'll use that as my time, along with seventh place, and first masters finisher. I had hoped for a better time, but I thoroughly enjoyed the competition (three guys finished within the next 20 seconds after me). The team I was running on, The Evil Killer Bunnies of Death 2 - Eviller and Killerer, won the team competition (props to Kevin F., Ian, Bear, Goat, and Jim) and with Kevin F. and Jeff H. both finishing at 1:18 (PR for Kevin F!) PACTC should do okay today in the Mid Atlantic ATF team Grand Prix competition. The Philly Runner's exploits can be followed as we all rehash here and I'm sure Dave will do a write up for the PACTC perspective here and Ian, Rachel(pr'd!), John W (pr'd!), Kevin F. (pr'd!) and Chad all ran it and all have blogs I just linked to where you can read more about it.

The schwag included a sweatshirt for first masters runner, which I gave to Cindy (who loves new fleecy sweatshirts), who as usual was amazingly supportive with cheering and logistics today. The medal I got for TEKBOD2 - EAK's finish had flashing light diodes on it and was cool enough so that Tony wore it around his neck all day. I'm happy to share what little booty I gain, as tokens to express that I could not do races like this without them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

2nd weekend in a row with a great race report. Nice job. Too bad you and Mike weren't in the same race since he was just under 1:16 too.

When is your marathon?

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home