Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

90 Miles - The Dark Side

Took a sick day today. I have a swollen gland on the side of my throat that is big enough to be clearly visible and painful enough to interfere with swallowing. So I did something even rarer than take a day off. . . see the doctor.

Doctor said it was "lymphoditis" or some variant of that word which is a fancy way of saying my lymph nodes were swollen. Duh. He asked me all sorts of questions like whether I was sexually active, and his face lit up when I said I was and was disappointed again when I said only with my wife. He then did what baffled doctors typically do: ordered tests (a throat culture and a blood test) and gave me a prescription for an antibiotic.

I went on the internet this evening and realized I could have saved myself some money. Or at least given him some info about this condition. Googling "swollen lymph node" and "running" comes up with a whole bunch of web sites that list the former as a classic symptom of overtraining involving the latter. Go figure. One of the more detailed sites is here. Interestingly, except for constant thirst (my throat feels parched right now) I don't have any of the other multitude of physiological or psychological symptoms that are listed. So I have to conclude this is a mild case.

But I still will lay off running for a few days. At least for today again and, depending on how the gland does, I may run easy on Wednesday. As a silver lining, I should be well-tapered for Cesar Rodney on Sunday. In hitting 90 last week, it looks like I ran a little over the edge.


1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Rumor has it Uta Pippig got real sick and had to take a few days completely off the week before she won Boston. I hereby guarantee you will beat her Boston time on the Caesar Rodney course.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home