Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, February 27, 2006

Round and Round that Damn Oval

Quick trip to DC. I had a conference presentation come up on short notice and took it as much for the chance to visit my sister in Arlington as for the conference itself. Me and Tony (he was happy for the chance to play hooky and visit his aunt) took the train up last night and got back this evening.

Instead of plotting out some course in Arlington I decided to do my running on the Washington & Lee (can you tell you're in the South?) High School track thats a few blocks from my sister's house. Only problem is that I wanted to do 13 miles. This promised to be challenging - albeit more mentally than physically.

Figured that the best way to slice and dice this was to do three repeats of three mile reps at marathon pace. In track shorthand, thats 3 x 4800m (w/ 1600m rec.) at 18:00, with a 1 mile warmup and cooldown. It was long, it was grinding, but I got the workout in, nailing the reps in 17:45, 17:52 & 17:52. Physically, as expected, it wasn't that bad, in fact it was easier than the 10 mile mp runs I'd been doing on the hamster wheel lately. It just gets really hard to keep up the determination to keep going, esp. on the last rep, where I couldn't get my pace on target and had to really hammer it for the last 800. And then, as you see by the time, I hammered it too hard.

But hey, its done. Tomorrow I want to do 14.5, easy and probably in two workouts, so I can at least equal my February mileage from last year. But I'm also aware that I'm setting myself up to sleep through tomorrow's workout again.

We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home