Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, February 16, 2006

GU for Breakfast

I teach this evening, so I started my workout after dropping Tony off at school. I didn't want to have a full stomach, but I didn't want to have an empty one either. So I took a GU. GU for breakfast, I feel like I've crossed some threshold of running geekiness. It tastes worse (vanilla flavor) when you eat it standing still than on the go.

Anyway, jogged to the track to do Yasso 800s for the first track workout of the season. I always think of my buddy Dennis' dog, a big, mean German Shepherd, who is named Yasso, when I do these. But that's not why I do them. As I've said several times when I've done these workouts in the past, and as you can find out by googling "Yasso 800", these are 800 meter reps (I do 10 of them with 400m recovery) with the gimmick that the rep times, in minutes and seconds, corresponds to your marathon shape, in hours and minutes. So this promises to give me an idea of what kind of shape I'm in.

Judging from the first one, not in very good shape. I had hoped (wished) to be able to nail these in 2:38-2:40, and the first one went down in 2:41, but what worried me was how heavy I was breathing. I'll never be able to do another nine of these was my thinking and I settled into survival mode. Turns out I settled down pretty quickly and the next eight went down in the 2:40-2:42 range. I pushed as hard as I could on the last one and managed a 2:39. Looking back on my fall workouts, this is as good a track workout as I had last year, even though I felt like I was holding back, so as to save something for the last reps. This bodes well for things to come, and indicates that I'm already in 2:40 - 2:42 marathon shape.

10.5 miles total and clock (running even when I wasn't) says 79:54.

As a reward, I'm having lunch with Mark and Mike, two erstwhile Main Line running buddies who I don't get to see much anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home