Seebo's Run

A running commentary on my training and whatever else emerges from that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Whistling Through the Graveyard

I'm getting into the habit of saying that I wont blog the next day and then I do.

Me and Erin went out at the usual time this morning, less than 12 hours and in the same darkness as our last run last night through Fairmount. My legs feel pretty shot, so while I wanted to cover some distance I was in no mood to take it fast. In the words of John Bingham, "No need for speed." So we crossed West Philadelphia under the cover of darkness and made it to Cobbs Creek down to Mt. Moriah cemetery, which we cut through, whistling, over to Kingsessing. It got light just as we got to Mt. Moriah, which was about the same point it got light at last Wednesday. When our legs are beat our mouths seem to pick up the slack, as the conversation flowed and made the time go much faster than the it would have otherwise. The warm weather continues!

Conservatively (I don't have time to measure) its 7.5 miles in 67:05.

I mentioned last night that I ran (virtually) through Gettysburg last night. A little skirmish was fought there during the Civil War. Me and Cindy went camping down there a few years back and were pretty typical of the couples there, where I was dragging Cindy around all over the battlefield and explaining the progression and tactics of the battle and she pretended to sound interested. Its worth going there just to see how many times that scenario is repeated during the day. But its a great place to visit if you are at all into military history (and most likely a guy) as the battle unfolds visually very clearly there: the opening skirmishes of the first day; the second day when the South almost pulls off victory; and then as the tide turns on the third day and Lee has Pickett charge his men into the Union lines with disastrous results. And that is just scraping the surface. I need to go back there IRL.

Now I turn south and head into Maryland. I have two immediate destinations in mind, which I'll reveal when I get there. I already peeked at one town that piqued my interest, and that is the main point of this exercise, to see how much I can learn about little nooks and crannies of the US. I don't have an overall destination or even a general direction in mind yet, but am just making it up as I go along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home